You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey there!

Here's a quick tutorial/demo on how to mix vector shapes and bitmap textures in Affinity Designer. Here I'm showing a simple but pretty useful technique I'm applying to almost all my vector artwork nowadays. 

FREE SAMPLE PACK!

I'm also giving away a small sample of my recent brush pack for Affinity Designer called Texturizer Pro. With this sample pack you can have enough to play around and get an idea of what the full set is about. 

Click on the image below to download this FREE sample pack and watch the video tutorial!

texturizer-cover_zpsr50zc2zt.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy and find this useful!

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

THANK YOU - I requested this video in another thread :)

I really hope this helps increase your sales!

Thank you.

High-End Photographic Prints

THANK YOU - I requested this video in another thread :)

I really hope this helps increase your sales!

Thank you.

Thanks a lot! This trick is very useful with any kind of bitmap-based brushes :) 

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

I never knew you could put a shape layer inside a pixel layer, resulting in the effects being restricted to that layer :)

You also say this can be done with other bitmap brushes. What size do you recommend creating the .png image at, in order to use it as a texture brush? And what colours do you recommend for both the image and it's background when creating bitmap brushes?

Thanks.

High-End Photographic Prints

@DesignMeister

I don't have a particular size for creating bitmaps, but I always use textures from 1600px and up. The textures are always B/W images, hope that helps :)

@Frankentoon A question from someone far less experienced than you...

Why do you duplicate the vector shape to put inside a pixel layer (where it acts as a mask) rather than simply putting the pixel layer inside the original vector object, where the pixels are clipped to the original shape?

Unless your method has an advantage that I can't see, it seems to have more steps and end up with twice as many objects?

Wonderful tutorial. The brushes look superb too.

Thanks so much for your contributions to the community :)

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Why do you duplicate the vector shape to put inside a pixel layer (where it acts as a mask) rather than simply putting the pixel layer inside the original vector object, where the pixels are clipped to the original shape?

Hi, thanks for asking!

When you mask without duplicating the shape, you end up with a transparent object. I like to keep my original colors intact and use the bitmap brushes just for 'decoration' and not for filling the whole thing, as if you were painting  on a bitmap software (I.E. AP) 

I don't know if I have made myself clear here, today I'm working like in auto-pilot, but I hope my answer makes sense to you. If not, please let me know :)

I don't know if I have made myself clear here, today I'm working like in auto-pilot, but I hope my answer makes sense to you. If not, please let me know :)

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear - have made a little GIF to show the method that I propose.

Vector shape remains intact, and with colour, pixels are just decoration that can be turned on / off, blend mode changed etc.

post-43096-0-14616600-1482274729_thumb.gif

Hope this clarifies my query :)

Painting with Pixel Layer inside Vector Shape.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 11 months later...