You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpaint Function Not Available

The Inpainting Brush tool is part of the Healing Brush Tool group, (see pic) click the small arrow on the Healing Brush to see it.

I have no idea what the Edit > Inpaint option is...

Anyone?

post-17958-0-42720400-1482243354_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have no idea what the Edit > Inpaint option is...

Anyone?

Try invoking it after making a selection on the image. :) (The shortcut Alt+Backspace doesn't seem to do anything here.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Try invoking it after making a selection on the image. :) (The shortcut Alt+Backspace doesn't seem to do anything here.)

Ah, I see what it does now - could be useful in Inpainting some tricky selections.

you're right though Alt+Backspace seems inactive

Another one to add to the bugs list?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Alt/Option + Backspace ("Delete" on my Mac keyboard) doesn't do anything for me either.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Alt/Option + Backspace ("Delete" on my Mac keyboard) doesn't do anything for me either.

On a Windows keyboard, Backspace deletes to the left of the cursor and Delete deletes to the right of the cursor.

Alfred spacer.png

On a Windows keyboard, Backspace deletes to the left of the cursor and Delete deletes to the right of the cursor.

On Macs, there something similar on the Apple "extended" keyboards, a "delete" key that deletes to the left & a separate delete key that deletes to the right, usually marked with a ⌦ symbol on the key cap, as well as the "delete" text. In the keyboard preferences the Edit > Inpaint shortcut shows by default ⌥⌫, indicating alt/option + Delete should work, but it does nothing, even if I retype that same shortcut into the shortcut field.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

I did have the same problem with the Inpatient tool being greyed out under edit. The inpatient function is used to remove unwanted objects. The getting started tutorial shows it being available on the left side bar tools but it has moved so this tutorial needs updating. Here is the link to getting started tutorial that needs updating: https://vimeo.com/channels/875980

It is now part of a Bush tool on the left side down low (Healing, Patch, Blemish, Inpatient and Red Eye) and it does work. I think that Edit/Inpaint tool on the dropdown menu is used to remove objects from a stack of photos which is actually very cool. So unless you have multiple images it would be greyed? See Inpatient tutorial here for single photo: https://vimeo.com/channels/875980/130966523

Inpainting is also part of the plugins to Apple Photos.

Loving the software

Fred

Hi fwhitehouse! Welcome to the forums.  :)

Just a friendly reminder: the tool is not "impatient," it is called the "Inpainting Brush Tool." By default, it is grouped with the Healing, Blemish, etc. tools but the Tool panel is highly customizable (View menu > Customize Tools) so it or the tool group that includes it could be anywhere in the panel, even in a second or third column.

Affinity Photo 

Just a friendly reminder: the tool is not "impatient,"

Nor is it generally known as the "Inpatient Tool", even to the regular occupants of this madhouse. silly.gif

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...

Just in order to potentially save somebody else from this frustration, I too have found the Inpaint option to be greyed out for reasons I have not been able to determine. When this happens neither the inpainting brush or selecting the area and choosing Inpaint form the Edit menu will work.

Replies to this and other topics do not seem to acknowledge that this happens at all, instead implying that the user is doing something wrong. Well, I've finally been able to replicate the problem and found a solution that seems to work to re-enable the inpainting functionality.

1. Right-click and copy an image from your browser window, then switch to Affinity Photo and choose File > New from clipboard.

2. Use the brush selection tool to selection tool to isolate an element you wish to remove.

3. Open the Edit menu and Inpaint is greyed out. Alt-backspace doesn't work.

4. Select All.

5. Choose Edit > Matte... and click ok on the dialog box

6. Reselect the element you wish to obliterate.

7. Edit > Inpaint is now enabled.

Whether this is a bug or not I don't know. I don't really know what Matte is doing in this instance so I'm happy to be enlightened on that front, but hopefully those looking for why inpainting doesn't work will be helped.

42 minutes ago, thisleenoble said:

Just in order to potentially save somebody else from this frustration, I too have found the Inpaint option to be greyed out for reasons I have not been able to determine.

The Edit > Inpaint option requires two things before it is enabled:

1. The selected layer must be a pixel layer -- identified by the "(Pixel)" suffix in the Layers panel.
2. There must be a 'marching ants' selection, which sets the area to be inpainted.

Typically, it is not meeting the first requirement that prevents it from being enabled, for example by trying to use it on a placed "(Image)" layer.

In your first step, the File > New from clipboard would convert an "(Image)" layer to a "(Pixel)" one, but it is much simpler just to select the "(Image)" layer & rasterize it.

Affinity Photo 

40 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In your first step, the File > New from clipboard would convert an "(Image)" layer to a "(Pixel)" one, but it is much simpler just to select the "(Image)" layer & rasterize it.

The first step creates an image layer - it's converted to a pixel layer at step 5.  As you say, it's easier to simply rasterise it.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

1 hour ago, IanSG said:

The first step creates an image layer - it's converted to a pixel layer at step 5.  As you say, it's easier to simply rasterise it.

Thanks for the correction. When @thisleenoble wrote "browser window" I was thinking of the Media Browser in the Mac version ... & just ignored the right-click, copy, etc. part of that step. :$

I blame that gaff on not ingesting enough coffee to get my old wetware firing on all cylinders before I replied.
slap.gif.665749a790d1be6fc5560f06cfff3a52.gif

Affinity Photo 

Clearly I didn't notice the difference between an image layer and a pixel layer. Having performed the rasterize operation I'm still not entirely sure why there is a distinction between them or what the distinction is. Why would I want an (image) layer over a (Pixel layer)?

Anyway, at least there's now an answer for why inpaint is sometimes not available.

2 hours ago, thisleenoble said:

Having performed the rasterize operation I'm still not entirely sure why there is a distinction between them or what the distinction is. Why would I want an (image) layer over a (Pixel layer)?

From the help topic Place images:
27271351_placedimage.jpg.afab5422d3e3e41bc64068a4e200683a.jpg

Image layers can also be replaced from the context toolbar.

Affinity Photo