You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to rotate an image by just a few degrees to level the horizon.

Got into "Help" but the instructions are not very good. I fiddled and fiddled and finally I came across a field called "visible", when I clicked it, it put at the top center a handle on a stick. Grabbing this little handle allowed me to do what i wanted to do.

But now I don't know how I got to the "visible" field so I can click it to do another image. I spent the last half hour to replicate this function without success. I can't find it, I am frustrated. Can anybody help me ?

There's a couple of ways of rotating an image:

1. Select the layer and unlock the layer by clicking on the padlock. Select the Move tool (V Key). You'll get a rotation handle at the centre top that you can drag on to rotate. Or when you hover near a corner you get a rotation handle. Alternatively in the Transform tab at the lower right you can type in a specific amount to rotate by. In the documentation under "Rotation and shearing".

What the documentation doesn't explain is if you're on a background layer you first need to unlock it. Layers e.g. a duplicate background layer don't need unlocking for the rotation using the Move tool to work.

2. A slicker way is to select the crop tool. Hold down the ctrl key and left click the mouse and drag out a line along the horizon. Release the mouse button while the Ctrl key is held down. The image will now be rotated with the horizon perfectly level. No messing around with small rotations. You'll need to crop the image slightly as there will be some small gaps on sides. Look up "Straightening" in the help for full instructions.

Hope this helps. Suggest you watch some of the video tutorials as stuff like this is covered in them.

There's a couple of ways of rotating an image:

1. Select the layer and unlock the layer by clicking on the padlock. Select the Move tool (V Key). You'll get a rotation handle at the centre top that you can drag on to rotate. Or when you hover near a corner you get a rotation handle. Alternatively in the Transform tab at the lower right you can type in a specific amount to rotate by. In the documentation under "Rotation and shearing".

What the documentation doesn't explain is if you're on a background layer you first need to unlock it. Layers e.g. a duplicate background layer don't need unlocking for the rotation using the Move tool to work.

2. A slicker way is to select the crop tool. Hold down the ctrl key and left click the mouse and drag out a line along the horizon. Release the mouse button while the Ctrl key is held down. The image will now be rotated with the horizon perfectly level. No messing around with small rotations. You'll need to crop the image slightly as there will be some small gaps on sides. Look up "Straightening" in the help for full instructions.

Hope this helps. Suggest you watch some of the video tutorials as stuff like this is covered in them.

Thanks, I am grateful.

There is an option (on by default) in Preferences > User Interface to "Automatically lock background layer on import." You can turn that off if you do not want the background layer protected from accidental selection & changes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There is an option (on by default) in Preferences > User Interface to "Automatically lock background layer on import." You can turn that off if you do not want the background layer protected from accidental selection & changes.

Thanks. That helps.