You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Even with the 1.5 updateI still cannot not crop to a specific size.

In PS, if I set the crop for 8x10 and the crop mask stays 8x10 and saves as 8x10. Affinity seems to have made this very simple process very difficult, even with 10 years of PS experience, I can't seem to make sense of this dynamic crop tool that changes while you size. Seriously, is there a hidden tool to lock is at the preferred dimension. The tutorial seems to make it even more difficult. Again, I just want to set the crop tool at i.e., 8x10, and save it as 8x10 and the exported file comes out 8x10! No more! 

So basically as in the screenshot and as in PS, I'm showing unconstrained, but hen setting the size to 8x10, the crop handles do not lock as an 8x10 crop mask,

If I chose 8x10 ratio under "mode" it will lock allowing to properly crop to size. but if I add a custom size again it will not lock the crop handles to that specific dimension.

Again this easily obtained din PS. Does AP just do this procedure differently?what am I missing?

post-25604-0-24806800-1482181611_thumb.png

• Staff

If you want to use a specific ratio, set the Mode to Custom Ratio, enter the ratio you want in the input fields and drag the grid corner handle on canvas to set the crop area you want (the grid should be locked to the ratio you've set in the input fields).There's no way to set a specific dimension this way (other than draggingg the grid corner handle) because you are using a ratio for the crop, not specific dimensions. Photoshop does the same when you set a ratio. Am i missing something?

Ok, that seems to work fine, however the inches and pixels option is grayed out, so if I choose 8x10 I don't get inches like PS, however it does come out correctly, when I checked the demission in PS.

I guess its just the semantics and the way the tools are laid out that was confusing me, but all is ok. Thanks!

• Staff

Hi OldHickory30,

The equivalent in Affinity Photo is the Resize Document dialog (menu Document ▸ Resize Document...) however currently it's not as flexible as Photoshop. It doesn't let you see the relation between the image dimensions and the document (physical) dimensions when you adjust the values (like the dpi for example). There's already an improvement request for this in our log but there's no eta yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, happy new year,

my question is, if in Affinity there is an equivalent to the PS cropping method "W x H x resolution". If you select this in PS and set the dimensions, you can play with the grid and every result is a section, that has the set dimension.

Hope it is clear what I meant ?!?!

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi.
MEB, I think you are missing something, after all.
For instance, how do I crop picture for 1080 px x 1080 px @ 72 dpi, that we require to do when prepairing image for Instagram, for instance?
This is an essencial feature !!
Perhaps it is well hidden in Photo, but I think that the probrammers did not put it in. A great omission for pro work.

Make a blank document 1080 x 1080 at 72dpi.

Load ANYTHING into it (Place). A Photo or Designer file (embedded), a placed JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PDF etc etc etc. No matter what it is, or what resolution it is, when you export it, it will output at 1080 x 1080 at 72 dpi.

Sure, it would be nice if Photo had every conceivable feature built in from the start, but it is very easy to work around it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi nresnik,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of these and other limitations - currently it's not possible to resample and crop in a single operation which is what i believe you are referring to. The Crop Tool is being rewritten to accommodate that functionality. Bear with us while we improve this.

Hi there,

I have also a couple of questions regarding the Crop function and I would kindly request your quick response as my free trial ends soon. I need a couple of licences and checking its capabilities first.

1. Document Ration doesn't match with Crop Ratio after being applied.

2. Crop & Convert 300 dpi to 72 answered above, yet consider it as a must to b developed

3. How can I export Jpg Save for Web?

For 1 & 3 Check Screen-shots here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ChcHjayJMNTV0HRNn1YkxlbXsegurLhP

Initial Photo Specs: Cmyk 300dpi 4787x3567px

Thank you in advance,

Greg

The best solution:

1. Open a new document with the size and resolution you need,

2. Import and resize the picture(s),

3. Save/export the document to the desired format.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

16 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

The best solution:

1. Open a new document with the size and resolution you need,

2. Import and resize the picture(s),

3. Save/export the document to the desired format.

Thanks Peter for your tips, yet I prefer cropping for many reasons and on the other hand it seems there is a bug on that and I am curious why is that happening (speaking about final ratio). 

I hope to be a bug of the Trial version but I would like it to be reviewed from the admins/developers and receive an official answer.

Many thanks though

2 hours ago, grego0204 said:

... on the other hand it seems there is a bug on that and I am curious why is that happening (speaking about final ratio). 

I think what you may be talking about is that in Affinity Photo (as in Photoshop) cropping is non-destructive. That means cropping does not actually delete anything outside the crop area, it just excludes it from the canvas so it is invisible. This is not a bug; it is by design, as is everything else designed to be non-drstructive & thus editable at any time.

To make a crop destructive (& thus irreversible) you need to rasterize everything. If it is just a single layer document, rasterizing that layer will suffice. If it is a multi-layer document, the simplest way to do that is to flatten it, which will reduce everything to one layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

To make a crop destructive (& thus irreversible) you need to rasterize everything. If it is just a single layer document, rasterizing that layer will suffice. If it is a multi-layer document, the simplest way to do that is to flatten it, which will reduce everything to one layer.

Neither rasterizing the document worked. I understand what you say but when I choose to crop the image (document) from 4656x3012 to 1920x1080, I expect the final document size or even canvas size to be 1920x1080.

Take a look here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sdxM6FSVAlYG63ptUVPC2_QeWyNChvkw/view

• Staff

Hi grego0204,

You are not ending with a 1920x1080 image because you are setting it as a ratio (in the Mode dropdown/context toolbar). The end ratio you are getting is 16:9 however the dimensions may vary - in your case they are bigger than you'd expect because the selected crop area in pixels in still larger than 1920x1080 pixels. Affinity Photo doesn't crop and resample the image at the same time as Photoshop. If you want to crop to 1920x1080 pixels exactly you have to select Absolute Dimensions from the Mode dropdown in the context toolbar, set the dimensions you want in the width/heigh fields (in this case 1920x1080) and position the crop frame where you wish dragging it on the canvas (placing the cursor inside the frame area and dragging it).

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

......and position the crop frame where you wish dragging it on the canvas placing the cursor inside the frame area.

Now you are talking right! I never thought that re-sampling wasn't included in Crop function and that's a reason not moving forward with this tool. I write down this as a feedback and perhaps future development because all the rest functions and compatibilities of Affinity sound more than good enough for anyone to buy it! 

I needed a tool for cropping and re-sample images that it would be used from Colleagues without special knowledge on image editing, so tat feature of Photoshop is a big advantage. Thanks everyone for your great support.

Have a nice day

• 6 months later...

Hi

I've just downloaded the trial version and unfortunately, I've not been able to get past this.  I have to constantly resize images for the web and the PS ability to resample & crop is essential. I tried following the suggestions mentioned here but I guess the challenge for me is I've been working with PS for 20 years.

What I want to do is take an image that is 7000 x 5000 (for the sake of argument) and crop 500x300 but be able to select a large area of the canvas and save at 72 dpi. Your tool does not seem to let me do this. Is there a simple workaround? 

Thanks