You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Control handles snap improvement

• Staff

Please see the attached picture for a clear explanation.

Basically i would like that when i'm adjusting the control handle of a curve with the node tool it automatically snap to the axis of the opposite control handle direction to get a smooth curve. 

I know this can be achieved changing a cusp node to a smooth one, but usually when we do this the software adjusts both control handle positions, meaning we loose the original position of the control handle we weren´t touching. Then we have to readjust the curve again.

With this improvement i can quickly get a smooth curve messing with just one control handle knowing that it will snap to the exact axis to get a smooth curve without screwing up the other control handle position.

This could be achieved trough the use of a modifier key. I would prefer the software do this automatically by default (pressing the modifier key would make it to override the snap). But it could be the other way around (only snapping when we press the modifier key).

Hope i'm being clear :huh:

post-59-0-84391500-1405694158_thumb.png

• Staff

I am about to do an overhaul of the node tool, mainly to address snapping, and to improve on the options we have for fixing point tangents.  It was first on my list, but I foolishly thought I'd get some gradient tool fixes done in a day or two - been doing that all week.

BTW - Just finished the gradient tool overhaul, so now it does end point snapping, angle snapping, stop point and mid point snapping, and proportionally movement of stop points.

Any other suggestions for the node tool welcome.  I'll start work on it on Monday.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Any other suggestions for the node tool welcome.  I'll start work on it on Monday.

Hi Ben, 

Here's another small improvement i would like to see. Right now the handles can snap to the axis defined by the opposite handle as i requested in the first post. This works fine for smooth nodes. However there's one case where this still doesn't work.

If the previous segment is a straight line (see attached image for clearer explanation), there's no opposite handle to define the axis to where our handle will snap. In this case would be useful if the handle we want to adjust could snap to the axis defined by the straight line itself.

post-59-0-34118000-1407949664_thumb.png

Good idea, MEB!

Fits nicely with this wish from here:

1) When alt-clicking and dragging a cusp node it would be helpful to drag one bezier handle out of it. Another alt-click and drag: second handle. Something similar can already be done by done by dragging the path between two nodes. The difference is that this alters the handles of both neighboring nodes which I often don’t want when I do precision work.

• Staff

Ah, yes - that should be a relatively simple fix.

I'm also adding some snapping options to the Node/Pen tool for snapping to other on-curve points in the selected curve.  It'll be an additional (and complimentary) snapping option to the general snapping.

Over time I hope to add more useful snapping features as people identify them.  I can imagine loads...   ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

:)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Ok - next Beta, I've gone one step further - expect the following improvements to off-curve handle snapping:

- Snap to tangent for cusp nodes.  If there is an opposite off-curve it will smooth the point (as it did before) otherwise it is left as a cusp.

- Snap to normals (right angles to tangent).

- Snap inline with next on-curve point.  Helpful for correcting to straight lines.

All the above now also use colour highlighting to show when a snap is made.  Also have right angle and inline indicators between respective points.

Have a play, it will all make sense.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Well - just grab some off-cube handles and drag them around - they will start to snap to 'other things'.

post-17-0-96116500-1409331005_thumb.png

The above examples shows snapping in line, and snapping to right angle (normals).

You can now easily make a curve section perfectly straight by snapping both the off curve points to be inline.  It also works for off curve handles of smooth points.  This will allow you to straighten a section following on from a curve.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Well, we are not trying to be just as good as the rest. We want to set the standard!

I have loads more ideas for snapping. Just need the time to do them all.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 months later...

Please tell me there's going to be the ability to snap to points on the same curve as the point you're dragging. Right now, if I have a curve with only two points and they're not exactly aligned to the same x or y value, I should be able to turn on snapping and drag one point and have it snap to the x or y value of the other point in the same curve. Right now, inexplicably, curve points only snap to the x and y values of points in *other* curves, not in the curve in which the point itself exists.