Maybe I'm simply missing this, but is there any way to shift a selection around as I form it? To clarify, for those familiar with Photoshop, when you are dragging out a marquee selection by holding the spacebar down you can shift the position of the selection around.

Is there a similar ability in Affinity Photo? On my Mac I've tried the spacebar, ⌘, option, ctrl, and shift all with no success. I'm fully updated to 1.5.1 as well.

I appreciate any help.

Matt

Matt

Coming from Photoshop I too am in the habit of dragging a selection, using spacebar to move/align the selection, then continue dragging.  So I'm missing that feature as well.  I'm not sure whether there's a better way, but this is what I've been doing instead as a work-a-round:

1) Make a selection with one of the Selection Marquee tools

2) Press 'Q' to enter Quick Mask mode

3) Press 'V' to select Move tool

4) The selection marquee is now draggable/editable

5) Press 'Q' to exit Quick Mask mode and go back to the marching ants

Maybe it was something that was just overlooked, because the Affinity Photo shape tools (such as the rectangle/eclipse tool) work with the Spacebar, just not the marquee tools.

Alternatively, depending on what you want to do with the selection, you can use the rectangle tool, eclipse tools, etc. as a layer mask as shown in this video:

https://vimeo.com/168186956

Thanks for the replies. The quick mask method is a work around, but I'm going to suggest in the "Feature Requests" forum that positioning of a selection while forming it be added.

To be honest, I don't like to pigeon hole Affinity and force a Photoshop ecosystem on it, but PS has had years of development and user input that have ironed out little things like this that make editing/designing more user friendly.

Matt

Matt

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but can't you just use Select > Edit Selection as Layer for this? I am able to free-transform any selection with this, scaling and moving included. Or is Quick Mask mode the same?

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but can't you just use Select > Edit Selection as Layer for this? I am able to free-transform any selection with this, scaling and moving included. Or is Quick Mask mode the same?

Your suggestion is essentially the same as the Quick Mask mode. I'm hoping for the addition of the quicker spacebar (or any keyboard key really) method of repositioning a selection as a time saver and easier UI. If I can reposition my selection as I make it with a single key press and avoid have to switch to the Quick Mask and then switch to the Move tool and then switch back out of the QM mode and back to my marquee too – all the better.

I also dislike how when more than one selection is made they are treated as a unified selection (even with quick mask method), and thus, trying to reposition one selection will then move the other as well which may or may not realign it with my intended selection.

Here is an example that keeps bumping me up against this issue:

I'm a photographer. When I want to edit eye irises in photoshop I use the oval marquee tool to select the iris of one eye on a person. I rarely have it lined up as much with the iris as I would like, so as I drag out the selection I use the space bar to reposition the selection. After I have the first selection in position over the 1st iris, in "add" mode I then drag out and reposition using the spacebar a second selection over the other iris. Using a quick mask, I remove the pupil from the selections, switch out of QM and I have my irises selected. I then copy the irises to a new layer for any adjustments I want.

In Affinity Photo this workflow is complicated with multiple quick mask switching and tool changing. It is also thrown totally off because the separate selections are treated as one unified selection, so trying to move the 2nd selection (even in quick mask mode) will move both selections - which rarely lines up both with each iris.

Granted I am trying to carry a workflow from PS to Affinity and, as I said above, I am not trying to have Affinity pigeonholed into a PS ecosystem, but the repositioning selection issue can be much more simplified with a keyboard button that allows for reposition selections while making them.

Matt

Matt