You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Persona - Transparent Background - How?!

Having read quite a lot of posts, I still can't figure out to export a PNG with a transparent background.

In Photo Persona, Document > Transparent Background is ticked. The background is chequered.

When I go to Export Persona, the background is still chequered.

I choose PNG24 in Export Options (Selection and Defaults), I export the slice.

When I view the png in my browser it has a black background.

I can not duplicate this with my setup (specs below in my sig). Browsers typically use a white background to display transparent png files (at least on Macs) & that is what I see with Safari, Firefox, etc. However, opened the exported png in Apple's Preview app shows the same checkered background, indicating where the transparency is & that it is preserved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

I have a related question: an SVG drawing opened in Designer sits on a chequered background.

This is presumably to show where there are no objects.  However, this chequered background does not appear in non-SVG drawings.

It does not seem to appear behind "holes" in Affinity Photo layers.

There is a similar background behind holes in PhotoShop layers, but not in Illustrator drawings.

To edit SVG drawings this chequered background is annoying (to me at least).

Is there a way to choose the colours of the little squares, similar to choosing the colours of the major and minor grid lines?  Then I could simply set them to the same colour and the chequered pattern would disappear.

Robert.

Robert

(Affinity Designer—Affinity Photo—LiveCode—Mac OS X various)

The checkered background is the standard way of showing transparent areas of a graphics document. If it did not display this, there would be no way of telling a solid color object from a background of the same color. It does not have anything directly to do with the svg format, other than it is one of several file formats that supports transparency.

If it annoys you, you can add a solid color layer behind all the other layers of whatever color you want, but keep in mind that you will not be able to tell an object of that color from the background.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Robert Cailliau,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The checkered background is to indicate a transparent background no matter the file format you opened. If you don´t want the pattern displayed go to menu Document and uncheck Transparent Background. The Afinity document will then be displayed/rendered with a solid white background. Currently there's no preference/setting to change this background colour, however you can use a Fill layer (menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer) or a vector shape to cover the whole background with the colour you want.

The checkered background or solid white background (depending if you have Transparent Background checked or unchecked as explained above) does appear behind "holes in Affinity Photo layers" as long as you are opening the "hole" in a document with a single layer, or the "holes" are located on the same place in all layers of the document.