You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer panel icon size is too small

• 1 year later...

Hi
I would like migrate from Photoshop to Affinity, but a bad think  that still don't convince me, is the size too small of layers icons and the size of the font in the menus.

Please, make a settings that give us the possibility to change those sizes.
I have a monitor: ASUS ProArt 2560 x 1440

Thank you

• Staff

Hi Sirio,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are using a Mac you can change the Font UI size going to Affinity Photo/Designer Preferences, User Interface section and setting the Font UI Size to Large.

On Windows this must be done through the controls provided by the OS itself or changing the scale of the whole interface to a larger value like 125%.

There's no way to change the size of the layer's thumbnails.

Hi

I am on a PC.
The others software are clearly readable with the font at 100%, but even if I put the font a 125%, it doesn't solve the problem of the Layers thumbnails. Which is a real problem, indeed, when you know well a software, at the end, you even don't read the menus, because you go automatically in the right string, but have a good miniatures of the layers, it is a real need.
Then, I hope one day it will have an enhancement in this topic.

I guess it depends on how large. One problem with this is how nested adjustment and mask layer thumbnails may get cut off from the view if the thumbnails are too large. If your currently create too many, the check box for hiding layers gets covered. Technically, yes, you can choose whether to have adjustment or mask layers nested or as their own through the Assistant Manager and you can always expand the nested layer, but certain settings may still add too much clutter on the parent layer.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 9 months later...

For comparison's sake, the new v4.2 preview of Krita introduces a nice small slider in the layers panel to control the thumbnail size on the fly in a seamless fashion. While the user had no control over thumbnail size in the pre-4.2 versions, a useful option exists: when the user hovers over a layer, a larger version is displayed in a pop-up, which also lists that layer's properties.

layers_krita.png.6edf75ba26ef045b4f3778eb166ec1d5.png

I really do hope layer thumbnails in Affinity will have a similar 'zoom' function at some point. It has been discussed in another thread that Affinity's layer panel is hampered with other usability issues, and (in my opinion) is crying out for a 'make-over'.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:07 AM, Bri-Toon said:

If your currently create too many, the check box for hiding layers gets covered.

That check box is a usability abomination (sorry). It's been discussed in that other thread (can't find it right now).

20 minutes ago, paolo.limoncelli said:

The hover thing seems to me a bit pleonastic... But it is only my opinion... :)

I must admit that I had to look up the word “pleonastic”! :o (For what it’s worth, I don’t think having too many words is the problem here.)

@Medical Officer Bones: I think this is the usability post you were referring to:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

(So “pleonastic” isn’t an English word? :o)

Oh, it’s an English word all right! It just doesn’t mean what Paolo was trying to convey. :)

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, A_B_C said:

Would it be pleonastic if I said “This is beautifully lovely”, Alfred?

I think so, Alex. As I indicated to Paolo, it isn’t a word I was familiar with — and I don’t really see it entering my active vocabulary!

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

But it is such a beautiful one! :x

Shouldn’t that be “a beautifully lovely one”? :P Edit: You beat me to it!!

Oxford Dictionaries defines pleonasm as “The use of more words than are necessary to convey meaning (e.g. see with one's eyes), either as a fault of style or for emphasis.”

Alfred spacer.png