You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

@Dooblaque

I know you sent a sample DNG to Serif but can you upload one here (or provide a link to one, if too big to upload) 

Then others can test the loading time and if any have the same times as yours, then comparisons of the OS, software and hardware specs may provide pointers to the cause of the "problem"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

...can you upload one here (or provide a link to one, if too big to upload)

Excuse my ignorance, but this is the first time I am participating in any forum and I have no clue how to upload a 50MB file for general use. If you could point me to the right direction I would be grateful. And don't forget I am not familiar with Macs I am a Win user.

For reference I just opened a 30.9MB shot in camera DNG from my Pentax K3 in 6 seconds in Photo 1.5.1.

Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5 GHZ, 16GB Ram, 3TB Fusion Drive

Thanks for the info.  I suspect Mac computers may well achieve this, because Affinity has its roots there.  But I work with Win 7. Affinity may still not be as proficient in the Windows environment. I don't know, no put down intended.

...can you upload one here (or provide a link to one, if too big to upload)

Excuse my ignorance, but this is the first time I am participating in any forum and I have no clue how to upload a 50MB file for general use. If you could point me to the right direction I would be grateful. And don't forget I am not familiar with Macs I am a Win user.

50MB is probably too large for this forum.

Create a free account on something like https://www.dropbox.com/ then you can upload your file and share it via a URL created on the same site

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Dooblaque,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. Most of the staff was in vacation during the Christmas/New Year period and are still catching up. We are aware that RAW files take some time to load and are continuously working to improve Affinity performance in this regard. Affinity Photo for Windows is a lot more recent than the Mac version so i'm not surprised there may be some differences in loading times between the two OS's or a few additional issues on Windows. Bear with us while we continue working to optimise/refine the Windows version. Regarding DNG's apparent slow loading times on Windows in particular i will try to reproduce this here and add a new report/log it if necessary.

Thank you all for your feedback.

• Staff

To add to MEB's response, the developers are aware of this issue. There is a big disparity at the moment: for example, I have some high res 80MP shots taken with the High Res Shot mode on the new Olympus E-M1 Mark ii. These develop and load in less than 8 seconds on my Windows box - macOS actually takes longer! Whereas on the other end of the spectrum, users are finding that 16MP raw images can take noticeably longer to load.

There is a new customer beta available (version 51) - please could you try this version and see if you note any improvement? Link is here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33310-affinity-photo-customer-beta-15151/

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I have some high res 80MP shots taken with the High Res Shot mode on the new Olympus E-M1 Mark ii. These develop and load in less than 8 seconds on my Windows box

??? I thought that those HighRes Raw files from Olympus cameras could only be processed by the Olympus Viewer? Are you saying that APh can also process those RAW files that contain the data for the 8 half-pixel shifted images? That would be really surprising but wonderful if that is so. 

• Staff

??? I thought that those HighRes Raw files from Olympus cameras could only be processed by the Olympus Viewer? Are you saying that APh can also process those RAW files that contain the data for the 8 half-pixel shifted images? That would be really surprising but wonderful if that is so.

Yes, it seems to open them fine, at least the ones created from an E-M1 mark 2 (only just got it the other day) - confirmed that they open on both Windows and Mac versions. They're 80MP as opposed to the 50MP JPEGs that are also created - very happy with the quality. I can't wait to try it out with some landscape/architecture shots when the days start to get a bit longer again!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi Dooblaque,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. Most of the staff was in vacation during the Christmas/New Year period and are still catching up. We are aware that RAW files take some time to load and are continuously working to improve Affinity performance in this regard. Affinity Photo for Windows is a lot more recent than the Mac version so i'm not surprised there may be some differences in loading times between the two OS's or a few additional issues on Windows. Bear with us while we continue working to optimise/refine the Windows version. Regarding DNG's apparent slow loading times on Windows in particular i will try to reproduce this here and add a new report/log it if necessary.

Thanks MEB

I suspected and said so in one of my earlier post that the holiday season may be to blame for the lack of response.

Your above response is all I needed to hear to put my mind at ease. At least now I know the problem is known/recognized. I can wait.  APh is still young and  growing sooner or later it will be fixed, I am sure.

Yes, it seems to open them fine, at least the ones created from an E-M1 mark 2 (only just got it the other day) - confirmed that they open on both Windows and Mac versions. They're 80MP as opposed to the 50MP JPEGs that are also created - very happy with the quality. I can't wait to try it out with some landscape/architecture shots when the days start to get a bit longer again!

Many thanks for that info. I'm going to try that with my Pen-F tomorrow. 

Regarding DNG's apparent slow loading times on Windows in particular i will try to reproduce this here and add a new report/log it if necessary.

Hi MEB

In latest Beta (1.5.1.51) when I open the quarrelsome 50MB Pentax K-1 RAW I get the following times.

Multiple openings of the same file will result in different loading times.

1st opening = 25sec

2nd = 23sec

3rd = 21sec

4th = 20sec.

After the 4th opening, time does not improve anymore.

However, since one tends to open any RAW file always only once to begin with the 5sec improvement through multiple openings presents no benefit.

Just for comparison, PhotoShop CS6 (Win) loads the same file into Camera Raw where basic adjustments are made like, Exposure, Contrast, Highlight, Shadow and so on and so forth in 4sec. and after that to open the image full size to appear on screen (fit to screen) in 6 sec. It does not seem to make any difference whether adjustments were made in Camera Raw or not. So we are talking a total of 10sec. (approx.)

I think the opening time improvements after opening files several times are caused through operating system I/O caching. It is comparable to files which are not related to AFP.

Would be interesting to profile how much time is I/O dependent and where the rest of the time is spent before the first preview is shown. There is much to optimize. In lightroom the preview generation seems to be zoom level and viewport dependent, so that only the visible parts are calculated and only in the detail, how it is needed for the zoom level. I know for example that sharpening and noise reduction are only previewed on the 1:1 zoom level in detail.