You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Am slowly coming to grips with AP. I would like to use it more often but the slow loading of files is holding me back. It feels like I have to wake AP out of a coma first every time I want to open a DNG file. :( 

Too slow, will abandon Affinity for now.

I am at an age where I only buy ripe bananas now, My time is valuable.  :rolleyes: 

Thanks

...it takes a long time to open for you and a matter of seconds for me.

I am not sure what to make of it. I run a computer with a 3.50 gigahertz Intel processor, Windows 7 Professional (x64), 32664 Megabytes usable Installed Memory and a 3,891,200KB Pagefile. The computer is well maintained without any issues or bottlenecks.

I ran the Win Beta up until it expired at which point I was invited to purchase the final version, which I did do.

No you provide a link to download yet another Beta after you said there are no more Betas. Is the final paid version not the latest ? If not, how can I update when you say updates will be offered automatically at startup.

Please advise.

Installed AP Win Customer Beta Ver 1.5.1.47 as per your provided link.

Purchased copy Ver 1.5.0.45 opens any of my DNG files in 28 seconds

Customer Beta   Ver 1.5.1.47 opens same files as above in 32 seconds. :(

When you say you were able to open my uploaded file in a matter of seconds, do you mean some 30 seconds ?

I guess everything is relative.

When I consider how long it takes to get an answer or even get Serif/Affinity involved, opening a DNG file can be considered "fast". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is anybody even mildly interested ?

I can't believe I am the only one with this problem, and if I am, why isn't there anybody at Serif/Affinity to tell me what I am doing wrong or what the problem might be ?

Regards

I routinely convert my RAW files to DNG simply to avoid xmp files being created by diifferent programs. A DNG file typically loads in 6-9 secs, the same as a RAW file. 

I'm running windows 10 on Core I& 2600K with 16 GB Ram. and also a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro. The images I tester were from a Pen-F ~ 20Mpixels

Hi ostonica

"I routinely convert my RAW files to DNG simply to avoid xmp files being created"

Not sure if I understand what you want to say.  DNG is a RAW format, it is Adobe's proprietary image standard. It stands for Digital Negative and is a RAW created by the camera if you tell it to store the shot pictures in hat format. Not all cameras give you this option. So the only thing I can think of if you say you convert your RAW images to DNG is that whatever camera you use is not allowing you to write images in Adobe's DNG and therefore you are doing the extra step to convert. Is this the case ?

When you say you load a DNG file typically in 6-9 secs, the same as a RAW file - there should not be any difference because they are both RAW files albeit the native proprietary RAW off your camera (whatever model it may be) and the DNG are somewhat differently coded to make DNG a more universal format which supposedly also makes it future proof. Proprietary RAWs come and go over time. But they are both RAW.

Perhaps you can tell me (us) the model of your camera. When you open a RAW in 6-9 seconds this suggest to me it may be a very small RAW file.  I use WIN 7 - 64, even though I know Win 10 generally works a bit faster the difference is not noticeable from experience. I know, because my other computer I own is a Win 10 machine and on both my Pentax K-1 DND's take 45 seconds when the are opened using the customer Beta Ver. 1.5.1.47 while in both machines they load in 28 seconds under Ver.1.5.0.45

In my workflow this is just too long. I could live comfortably with half this time.

I did give the camera model Olympus Pen-F it's a 20 MPixel sensor and the proprietary .ORF Raw files are between 40MB and 50MB after conversion to DNG using the Adobe DNG converter. The Olympus cameras do not save in the DNG format.  All my RAW files, no matter what format, DNG or ORF, load between 8 and 12 secs.

Sounds as though you might be using the 4 shift variant version of the DNG which would give around 250MB images and if so, not too surprising that your times are 4 times bigger than mine. 

So we are dealing with similar sized files.

I just cancelled my subscription to Photoshop CC 2017 but was able to run one test before the subscription cancellation took effect. . It was faster than AP, loading a 50 MB DNG file in about 2-3 secs. The same file in AP took 8 secs to load. Longer yes, but not enough difference to bother me. It will get better as AP matures, it's just a novice on the block right now. 

Not sure if all this is of any help to you, but hope it is. 

So we are dealing with similar sized files.

I just cancelled my subscription to Photoshop CC 2017 but was able to run one test before the subscription cancellation took effect. . It was faster than AP, loading a 50 MB DNG file in about 2-3 secs. The same file in AP took 8 secs to load. Longer yes, but not enough difference to bother me. It will get better as AP matures, it's just a novice on the block right now. 

Not sure if all this is of any help to you, but hope it is. 

Thanks for your response.

I am totally mystified. I have changed a Pentax K-1 50,000KB DNG and converted it into a TIF file which now is some 106,000KB and AP loads this file in exactly 5 seconds !  So, it appears not to be the size of the file per se. From this I can only deduce that AP does not like a Pentax generated DNG. But then again, I have put this Pentax DNG through the "Adobe RAW Converter" which changes the file to a more globally accepted format (as Adobe puts it) but even this converted file takes 30 sec to load.

Moderator JFisher requested a Pentax K-1 sample DNG file which I have uploaded to him and he reports it loads on his computer in only seconds. But I can't find out anything more about it because JFisher does not communicate with me anymore. I don't know why, maybe he is on holiday. (I don't think I have offended him.)

Yes, I can confirm Pentax DNG files are slow to load in AP compared to other apps.

My Pentax is  APS-C with DNGs between 16 and 19 MB in size.

With all things being equal - that is loading the files from File / Open I can open DNGs in Photoshop CS6  in less than 2 sec (ie opening in Camera Raw via PS File / Open) while the same files take 12 sec in AP. Timings are from a smartphone stopwatch app.

I'm using a fairly high spec laptop (ASUS ROG) and have tested only with the current AP retail (v1.5.0.45).    

I tested My Pentax K-3 (APS-C) DNGs (approx. 29,000KB) and they take 22 seconds to open. Opening the same DNG multiple times progressively shortens the time down to 12 seconds. Closing down APh and the computer and then start again with the same DNG the loading time starts again at 22 seconds.

The same can be observed when I load DNGs ex my Pentax K-1 (approx. 50.000KB)

So obviously cache performance is at play here.

As a matter of reference, I use a Pentax K-3, and produce DNG files out of camera. They are about 30MB. These load into Affinity 1.5.1 in about 8 seconds. I'm using an late-2013 iMac, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, regular hard drive (not SSD).