You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Affinity Photo TIFF compression algorithm lossless?

At the beginning I just want to say that it seems that everyone want to have photoshop but under the name Affinity Photo :)

So...

In Photoshop we can choose if we want TIFF with lossy jpeg compression or lossless ZIP or LZW.

In Affinity Photo dialogue window there is no such thing.

There resampler that suggest that AP compression algorithm is lossy.

Can you tell me if it is lossy or lossless?

Does it matter which resampler option I choose? What are the differences between them?

p.s.

Sorry for my English

I would be very surprised if it were anything but lossless. I would guess LZW as it is the standard but ZIP is also possible. 

Resampler method applies to document objects that are not in document resolution, or have been rotated, or if you, well, resample image in export. Generally first ones are bad and bicubic and Lanczos are good. 

I would be very surprised if it were anything but lossless. I would guess LZW as it is the standard but ZIP is also possible.  

Packbits (a special kind of RLE compression) is another possibility, but a quick test here suggests that LZW is the actual algorithm used.

Resampler method applies to document objects that are not in document resolution, or have been rotated, or if you, well, resample image in export. Generally first ones are bad and bicubic and Lanczos are good.

Lanczos can be separable or non-separable. The non-separable variant sharpens more than the separable one, which is good for text but not so good for pretty pictures.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for reply.

I asked because my tiff from AP is almost 100MB smaller than from PS.

I have one more question.

I tried to open in photoshop tiff created in AP. This file contains two pixel layers. PS opens it in camera raw without any layers.

Tried to export as PSD and than everything work like a charm. (at least with only two pixel layers).

PS tiffs have .tif extension

AP tiffs .tiff

Removing "t" is not helping with anything.

Tiff was created from one of my nikon NEF files. (export from lightroom 5).

In lightroom I have made some changes.

File's name was DSC_2005.tif

After exporting from AP it was DSC_2005.tiff -> in lightroom file is shown as new one.

If I change the name to tif than lightroom "thinks" than nothing has happened.

p.s.

It's for Affinity Team

When my NEF is exported from Lightroom in exif data there is an info, that image was created in software: Adobe Photoshop.

Same NED opened in AP, developed and exported - Software: Nikon ...

Maybe you should change that. Something like a free commercial :)