You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I was recently working on a project for a large format print of 352" X 118" at 100 DPI. This is an image that is printed on a vinyl wall covering. Throughout the process of storing and closing the file, I was faced with really long delays and at one point, lost the whole content of the file while closing it. The file was in the 565MB  size which is large, granted, but I ended up having to re-process the files in Photoshop to save them in .TIFF and PDF.

Now I am not sure why Affinity Photo had such a problem handling such a large file, but perhaps optimizing memory management is something that needs to be looked into if this is common. Photoshop had no problem handling the file and converting to the proper format.

So I was wondering if anyone has had issued handling very large files in Affinity Photo and / or Designer ?

Now perhaps I should have handled this project in Designer, I didn't try it as I was pressed for time and assumed that Affinity Photo was a Photoshop equivalent notwithstanding the fact that Designer can handle raster graphics.

I was using Affinity Photo for Windows on Windows 10, with an i5 processor and 32mbs of RAM.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers,

Christian L.

Gatineau, Qc.

CANADA

Generally I would say AP handles bigger files more easily than PS. I worked with files 1-12 GB size and for AP it was not a problem, PS refused even to open them ("not enough RAM" – I have 16 GB). Of course some of the file size was Affinity fluff, real image sizes were 800 MB – 8 GB.

I did make new image size 3 m x 5 m @ 100 dpi and it behaved normally, some operations were a bit slow.

That is, performance in our system is atypical.