You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Friends,

I'm a newbie. I'm working on a picture of a diamond with a glow around it. I am mad at myself because I've already achieved the effect I wanted, but I was working on a lower quality picture (not the "master file") and I've deleted the file I was working on and kept the small print screen only. So there is no trace of how I've made it. But at least I know it is possible in my wonderful Affinity Photo.

Maybe you can help? I would be very grateful. I've already spent many hours and I'm on the edge to give up. I just can't make it. The question is, what features apart from the "outer glow effect" have to be used to achieve the effect? I'm attaching two print screens here - 1) Were I am now; and 2) What I need to achieve.

Aurea Prima

post-38406-0-46880100-1481998020_thumb.png

post-38406-0-35225900-1481998033_thumb.png

The diamond you are aiming for has a wider (bigger radius), softer (less intense) Outer Glow.

And it also has an Inner Glow.

Remember that you can click the little cog icon by a layer effect to get more controls.

See my attached file to see what I did to make something similar.

post-43096-0-66071700-1482013850_thumb.png

I also added a shadow, a sparkle, some shading with a Gradient Overlay (radial), some adjustments to increase Contrast and Vibrancy.

In each case I tried various Blend Modes to see what looked best.

Diamond Glow.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thank you very much, Aammppaa,

I really appreciate. I've played with the features you mentioned but still I'm not there. I was trying to make the Outer Glow less intense, but the glow nearly disappeared. The Inner Glow was already there. Gradient Overlay, Contrast and Vibrance didn't effect the glow.

I'm starting to think that maybe my "goal picture" looks different because I was working on a low quality original. Is it possible that picture reacted differently to the manipulations because it just had less pixels at the beginning? 

AP