You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I,m a 70 year old grandma. I am looking to make printables with the Affinity Designer. Ive never worked with Illustrator or any design program. I am planning to buy the workbook and am hoping that it will do a good job of teaching this beginner. I would appreciate any suggestions you have for me.

I would love to learn how to use this program. I have the trial already downloaded.

Thank you in advance for any input.

The builtin Help is also a good source for info. In particular, if you are new to the app check out the "Getting Started" topics & the "At a glance" topic in the Workspace section.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello,

I think you will find AD to be a lot of fun to use, even as a newcomer to computer graphics.

Once you review the interface, and see where everything is, and how the context bar changes as you use various tools, I'd suggest you start playing with the shapes. There are more than 20, including standards like rectangle and ellipse. They can all have modifications. Early on, I tried to make a catalogue of the variables. I have one catalog sheet that has 40 variations on the arrow shape. And that is without using AD wonderful corner tool, which can add many more minor variations. Probably 2000+ shapes available with only the slightest bit of effort. The various shapes can then be added/subtracted/divided etc into one another. There are a great many figures that can be made w/o any drawing skill

And each on can have different combinations of fills, and outline strokes, and then there are about 20 different ways to blend the colors/shadings.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet