You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live filters in AP 1.5 cannot be erased with paintbrush tool

Hi, since downloading AP 1.5 on my mac with OS Sierra, I have not been able to retouch live filter layers, such as gaussian blur, etc. When I create a Gaussian blur live filter layer on top of a pixel layer and I try to use the paintbrush tool to remove parts of that layer, nothing happens. I tried with other live filters (not all of them) and I get the same results. I used to be able to do that with no problems before so I know it is not a problem with my technique. Has there been a change in the properties of live filters?

This still works for me; however, just like it has always worked, since it is a mask it only responds to the grayness (luminosity) of the paint color.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R thanks.

I just figured out that if I have "protect alpha" turned on it disables the the effects of the paintbrush tool. I don't remember this being the case with the previous version of AP but it could be that I did not notice it before. Most importantly, I want to bring this to your attention in case this is not a deliberate feature but rather a bug in the software that needs to be corrected. I would appreciate it if you let me know either way. Thanks again, and congrats on some great enhancements to AP!.

"Preserve alpha" prevents the transparent parts of the layer the filter is applied to from being affected. It should not prevent the filter from affecting the opaque parts. So for example, if you erase part of a layer the Gaussian blur live filter with Preserve alpha enabled won't extend the blur into the erased part whether or not you try to remove the effect with the paintbrush.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't think I explained the issue clearly the first time. When I create an adjustment layer or a live filter layer on top of a pixel layer, and then I try to use the paint brush tool to erase parts of the effect of that adjustment or filter layer, the paint brush has no effect at all unless I have protect alpha turned off.

This is a different behavior from the previous version of AP and it seems odd to me because it means that the "protecting alpha" option is protecting everything not just the alpha channel. I should point out that I am using OS Sierra and you seem to be using El Capitan. I don't know if that matters but you should check it out.

Hope this clarifies the issue and question I am having. Thank you for your help.

I am not yet ready to install Sierra but with El Capitan "Preserve alpha" definitely does not block opaque areas.

One thing I noticed is you keep referring to this as "Protect Alpha." On my system the checkbox is labeled "Preserve alpha." Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, what is the exact wording on your system?

Affinity Photo 

In Affinity Photo on Windows, I see a 'Protect Alpha' checkbox on the Context toolbar when I choose the Paint Brush Tool or the Pixel Tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Ah! OK, I see that we were not talking about the same thing.

For painting on masks (which are built into the filters) it should not be much of a surprise that since a mask is a colorless alpha channel, if you protect it, nothing will happen ... right?

Affinity Photo 

I did not know that a mask was in fact a colorless alpha channel.  Thank you for that.  :) The thing is I don't remember having to uncheck the "protect alpha" checkbox in the previous version of AP in order to use the paintbrush tool on an adjustment layer. Is that a new feature of 1.5 and it works the way it is supposed to then?

I am too old & my memory is not reliable enough to remember if this is a new feature of 1.5 or not, but either way I think it works as intended now.

Affinity Photo