aaturner

AP 1.5.0.45 full release - Raw (NEF) tone curve

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not, but the default raw tone curve for correctly exposed Nikon raw files (D2X, D700, D800) all have the histogram pushed against the left side (i.e. towards the blacks) making the images very dark. The default setting does not reflect the correct tonality of the images and requires significant manipulation to approximate a reasonable final result. The same images in other software (LR, PSCC, Lightzone and others) appear ok on their default settings, requiring modest manipulation at best to obtain a well developed image.

Is this due to me being incompetent or is their a fault in the tone curve?

Many thanks and I wish you all a very good Xmas.

Further to my comments above, I find that the default NEF tone curve in AP underexposes the images by around 1.5 to 2 stops. While this is correctable with the software, I would expect the default curve to be closer than that to the original photo.

Same problem here. In Develop persona the Histogram's display is skewed to the left suggesting that blacks should be clipping while it is not true. I have opened the same photo in Lightroom so you can see the problem. In both Histograms, it is the same RAW photo without any adjustments. 

Photo looks the same in both applications it is just the Histogram that it is skewed to the left in AP.

However, when I switch to Photo persona the Histogram looks like the one in Lightroom...

This photo was taken with Nikon D7100, but it is the same problem with photos taken with Nikon D750.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1jm5gnex09264x/RAW%20Histogram.png?dl=0

This is due to the develop persona using a 32bit HDR workspace. The histogram should snap back to what you expect as long as you have the Raw output format set to be 'RGB(16 bit)' in the develop assistant. I do agree that this makes interpreting histograms in the develop persona tricky. I've raised a ticket for this

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

Hi pauls. Afraid not; I have tried developing in 16 bit rgb, no tone curve and 32 bit rgb with the same result except for the fact that the last two appear darker and "muddier" than the 16 bit rgb version. Hope a solution is found shortly.

Thanks.