You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overly saturated colors on screen

I use Capture One pro 10 to do my raw processing, I then export to tif and open in Affinity Photo to do further processing. when the files are open in AP the colors on screen appear overly saturated and vivid. If I do some modifications and save the file back to C1 the colors in C1 are back to normal. As far as I can tell color settings in AP match the ones of C1.

The problem is obviously a screen rendering problem.......any idea on how to solve it?

Hmmm... 

Still just thinking this through - I'm still getting to grips with AP myself, but is it possible that it's applying an sRGB profile when the image is opened in the software?

I admit this doesn't perfectly explain what you're seeing - Windows Photo Viewer isn't colour managed, so I think I'd expect it to show something closer to the AP view than the Capture One view - but nothing else obvious springs to mind.  

Gianmarco, which camera?

Keith Reeder

Ok done some further experiments...... now, if I open a sooc jpeg (adobe rgb) the colors display correctly, anything that is exported from Capture one does not.So it must have something to do with the way Affinity interprets files from C1 on screen. I would like to add that with Photoshop I never had this problem nor do I have this problem with other programs........

addendum, I tried exporting in srgb.......no change colors are exactly like A rgb......almost as if Affinity is ignoring the color profile entirely

And here I go again :D

So.....If I open an Abobe rgb file, that Affinity correctly reports as being Adobe RGB colors are very saturated, if I go to document assign Icc profile and assign the srgb option the file displays very close to the same file opened in other progs.

if I open an srgb file, that Affinity correctly reports as being sRGB colors are still very saturated and I obviously can not do anything to change that

I do not know if it is me doing something wrong, I just know that I never had any of these problems before with other software

I also have C1 and just tried to replicated this behaviour, but without success. I opened Sony Raw file in C1 , exported it to a 16bit TIF file with the Adobe RGB profile and then opened the TIF file in APh. I could not see any difference between the image seen side by side in C1 and APh.

I only have the C1 for Sony version so could not test on other formats. 

Jim

http://js-ca.net

now I'm at a loss.....I was working on 8 bit files, I just tried a 16 bit...... file same problem......I'm assuming you are also working on windows.
I'm using Capture one pro 10 on windows 8.1 64bit and AP v.1.5.045 The files originally are from a Fuji XT1 Monitor is calibrated with a Spider 3
what is strange is that only AP presents this problem and I repeat the problem is only in AP after editing I can open it in another prog and it looks normal

• Staff

Could you please screenshot the colour settings for :-

Affinity Photo

Capture one pro

The colour settings used in Windows (esp assigned monitor profiles)

I can't recreate your situation yet but it does sound like some double profiling is going on

I think your AOC monitor profile is causing this. Windows Photo Viewer doesn't do any colour conversion, so you won't see the effects when opening an image with that. In Affinity we do document to screen colour conversion. There aren't many applications that do this. Photoshop does it too, if you can test that. I can only assume that CaptureOne doesn't do colour conversion either.

If you change your monitor profile to use sRGB, you'll probably notice it looks the same as the other viewers.

OP should ensure of the correct Capture One colour settings. See here. The first thing to check is what you have set up in the menu item View>Proof Profile in CO. The default is "Selected recipe" -- with this setting, if you go to the Output tab and click on your chosen export recipe it's going to be soft-proofed in real time. IOW, if you intend to do retouching in Photo, choose ProPhoto RGB, 16-bit psd or tiff. If, OTOH, you intend to post to web, choose your sRGB jpeg output recipe.

If you want to have a ProPhoto or Adobe RGB as your working space in CO at all times, irrespective of what's set in your output recipe, set the permanent colour space in the View>Proof Profile menu.

If this doesn't help, then as Pauls said, let's see your Advanced tab Windows colour management settings.

BTW, a question for Mark and Paul -- does Affinity Photo make use of the WCS settings or does it just look at what's set as the default monitor profile?

Why matters

It uses the WCS Default Device profile (on the Advanced tab of the Colour Management dialog in Control Panel). Which can be overridden by choosing a profile for the device on the Devices tab.

Thanks, Mark. Just wanted to make sure.

Personally I haven't come across any colour management issues with Photo (other than with plug-ins, which are a mess in this respect at the moment). Two more colour management questions, if you will (sorry for a slight off-topic) -- is it safe to use XYZ LUT monitor profiles with Photo, or would you suggest switching to simpler, matrix profiles? I'm calibrating my monitor with Argyll/DisplayCAL and the LUT profiles which are generated also contain a matrix version, but I was wondering if there might be problems here that you're aware of. I know that FastPictureViewer doesn't like LUT profiles, but other colour-managed applications that I use play fine with them, and it looks like Photo is fine with them, but it's better to ask. Also, are ICC v.4 profiles OK with Photo?

Why matters

Ok here are the screen shots, I hope they are what you wanted.

thank you all for the reply's. Just to clarify up to about 10-15 days ago I was using the exact same set up but with Photoshop CC in place of Affinity and had no problems at all.

I also tried what sankos suggested with no improvement, I also tried disabling monitor calibration and there still is a noticeable discrepancy between AP and C1

thanks again for all the help

post-46467-0-51341300-1482365580_thumb.jpg

post-46467-0-66084400-1482365592_thumb.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.