You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slicing Areas and Transparencies.

Is it possible to export a slice without defining a slicing area?

I think, without going back into Sketch that you can define an object to be sliced without having to define an area with the slice tool. 

Say I created a bunch of buttons and icons - each button and icon are grouped. Is it possible to select the group and export it, without defining a slicing area?

-----

Is it possible to slice a group without turning off all the underlying layers to make, say, a transparent png? 

Take the above example of icons and buttons. Currently the workflow is to define a slicing area, and then I have turn off all the underlying layers in order to make the icon have a transparent background. 

I believe if the above situation was solved for (exporting layers/ groups), that I wouldn't have to hide multiple layers in-order to get a transparent background.  

* This is a great feature, which I'd be open to requesting, for people making graphics that use hover effects and changing backgrounds - say for example on buttons. In the attachment I have multiple button icons to be exported and it sucks to hide all the layers, export the icons, then display all the layers again (primarily cause the layers could be at all kinds of different levels in the layers panel)

post-2253-0-95741900-1415685966_thumb.png

• Staff

Fixed the title for you :)

In the Export Persona there is a Layers Panel and you can use this to select the group you're interested in. Now click the 'Create Slice' button on that panel and you'll create a dynamically sizing export area for that object. It only exports that object so you don't need to turn off the background before exporting.

Hope that helps :)

Matt