You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help in German when Affinity runs in English

As the the headline mentioned- on a German mac with Affinity set to English as language the help menus stays in German.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Change the language in: Systemeinstellungen above under the black aple.

> Sprache und Region

> add (> +) English

> choose E.

That´s it.

regards

lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

Ja, after you won´t use English any longer, delete English at this place, so German is primarly (!) again. I just tried, but I do not know more about. Only to change to German I did not find a way.

lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

There might be a workaround for this but I have not tried it (nor will I) & it is a bit risky so I strongly suggest having a good backup in place in case it causes problems. I will take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong!

The idea is that in System Preferences > Language & Region you can set up a list of Preferred languages. The top "primary" one is used unless the app has no resources for that language, in which case the OS goes down the list looking for the first language that has the resources.

So, it is possible that if it cannot find the help resources in the app for the primary language it will use those in the next language on the Preferred languages list. For Designer, the help resources are in /Applications/Affinity Designer.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources. So maybe if the de.lproj folder is renamed, moved, or deleted, this will cause AD help to use the help folder for the next preferred language, for example from the English.lproj or en-US.lproj folder if your second preferred language is English, English (U.K.) or English (U.S.).

I would be interested in knowing if this works, but again, be advised that you would be doing this at your own risk.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I use this technique in C1 to get English C1 because they don't have a language setting at all.

[OFF TOPIC]? ? ? They have. Just look at the Preferences.[ON TOPIC]

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

I would be interested in knowing if this works, but again, be advised that you would be doing this at your own risk.

Hi R C-R,

well, that looks like an interesting approach, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work, at least on my machine with the Beta of Affinity Photo. I didn’t dare to try it with the App Store versions. So the best way might be still to copy English.lproj and shared from the location you indicated to another place in the file system and access the help files through a web browser.

I would be interested though, if someone got this to work …

Alex  :)

not in V 9.3 as their support told me as well/ or you discovered something that they have not discovered  :D

maybe they added it as one if their so called features in V10

You mean on the Mac ? I was talking about Windows, sorry.

--Patrick

You mean on the Mac ? I was talking about Windows, sorry.

ok sorry, wasn't´t aware that those windows users are still out there using graphics apps LOL

just joking  :D alright 

cheers

BTW I tried moving the lproj. files or help files in AP but it just did not show any help afterward whatsoever 

- re downloading from the MAS solves the issue though so it´s back normal now 

ok sorry, wasn't´t aware that those windows users are still out there using graphics apps LOL

just joking  :D alright 

Well, it seems that these days Windows users have less problems with graphics applications than Mac users. The Nik Software plugins are a good example. :P

Greetings from Fontainebleau, France.

--Patrick

Well, it seems that these days Windows users have less problems with graphics applications than Mac users. The Nik Software plugins are a good example. :P

Greetings from Fontainebleau, France.

yeah you have some advantages but we have a proper fullscreen and can still have our dock visible on the other descs - you have to hide your "windows toolbar" to get real fullscreen - that would drive me out of my head 

(and I don't like the NIK software  :D )

anyway good to know you come along well  :lol:

yeah you have some advantages but we have a proper fullscreen and can still have our dock visible on the other descs - you have to hide your "windows toolbar" to get real fullscreen

It seems that you should update your knowledge about Windows.

Anyway, we are off topic. We should stop this discussion.

--Patrick

BTW I tried moving the lproj. files or help files in AP but it just did not show any help afterward whatsoever 

Did you also modify System Preferences > Language & Region to add English as a 'preferred' language below your primary one?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Did you also modify System Preferences > Language & Region to add English as a 'preferred' language below your primary one?

No

Does that work out?

I actually have English set as a second language 

@Samoreen I doubt it but yeah

Edited by MBd

• 2 weeks later...

Nein. Aber es gibt eine Menge exzellente deutsche Tutorien auf youtube.

Mensch Mensch ist einer der Besten um in die Gänge zu kommen: 

https://youtu.be/4QUPoHn9qMc

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications