You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It's hard to imagine a default setting for any of the effects that we could all agree on.  But sticky settings is something that is greatly desired by most if not all of us.  I think they're on the roadmap but I'm not sure when we'll actually get them.

Adobe may have assigned defaults; it's hard to imagine that every Adobe user wants the same defaults.  Actually, Affinity has a default mode; that is to leave it up to the user.  :)  But again, sticky settings would allow each user to choose their own defaults.

I am quite ok with copying an object with different effects, and then pasting its style onto another object, via Edit - Paste Style.

An option to set a default for, say, outer shadow would be nice, though. 

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

As I said I don;t really care what the default is I'd just like them to be a) retain my last setting and b) do something - it's sometimes not obvious what an effect does so it's better to have a starting point rather than nothing, which leaves me thinking that effect doesn't do much. 

As for copying effects and pasting them, yeah that's fine if you're happy for two tasks instead of one but I have deadlines.

Consider this.  Suppose Affinity decided to create defaults for each effect but the default they chose was different from what you wanted to apply.  How would deleting the default and entering your preference be any quicker or easier for you than just entering your choice to begin with?  :)

Consider this.  Suppose Affinity decided to create defaults for each effect but the default they chose was different from what you wanted to apply.  How would deleting the default and entering your preference be any quicker or easier for you than just entering your choice to begin with?  :)

The point is if the default effect doesn't do anything then I don't even get an example of what it can do for me to accept or modify. What if I'm not sure what an effect can do? Do I just then slide the adjustments randomly? What's the big deal in giving me a default setting for me to use or modify?

Why do you defend do nothing? Don't defend the status quo unless there is a real benefit for you in leaving it as is. I think there is a real benefit for some of us to have a default setting. It's just lazy of the dev team to leave effects zero'd.   

The point is if the default effect doesn't do anything then I don't even get an example of what it can do for me to accept or modify.

All of AD's effects include live previews that update in real time as you change their settings. Is that not enough of an example for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

All of AD's effects include live previews that update in real time as you change their settings. Is that not enough of an example for you?

That's true, but I can see the point the OP is making. Several of the effects, for example, have an Intensity slider with a scale on which zero means "no effect"; it would make sense for the default intensity to be something other than zero, so that you can instantly see an effect which you can adjust up or down as desired.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The point is if the default effect doesn't do anything then I don't even get an example of what it can do for me to accept or modify. What if I'm not sure what an effect can do? Do I just then slide the adjustments randomly? What's the big deal in giving me a default setting for me to use or modify?

Why do you defend do nothing? Don't defend the status quo unless there is a real benefit for you in leaving it as is. I think there is a real benefit for some of us to have a default setting. It's just lazy of the dev team to leave effects zero'd.   

I am defending the status quo because I believe it is the best solution for the most users. And I do not think that it is the developers who are being lazy.

That's true, but I can see the point the OP is making. Several of the effects, for example, have an Intensity slider with a scale on which zero means "no effect"; it would make sense for the default intensity to be something other than zero, so that you can instantly see an effect which you can adjust up or down as desired.

But what should that default be? Likewise, when there is a radius slider zero also means no effect, so what should be the default for that? Should either or both be the same regardless of the pixel dimensions of the canvas, artboard, layer, or group?

Defaults make sense when there is a logically or intuitively consistent starting point, but for something like this I don't think that is true. For me at least, anything other than zero as a starting point would just be confusing because it won't be the same for different things.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7