kaledo

Black Text impossible

Normaler schwarzer Text, aber auch Text in zugewiesenem Schwarz (sowohl RGB 0-0-0 als auch CMYK 0-0-0-100), oder als Schwarz/weiß angelegt, wird im PDF-Export zur Mischfarbe (CMYK 89-78-62-97).

Normal black text, in addition, text in assigned black (both RGB 0-0-0 and CMYK 0-0-0-100), or as black and white created, becomes in the pdf export the mixed color (CMYK 89-78-62-97).

What going wrong?

Kalle

This works as expected for me here. New document, add some text, set the colour using the CMYK sliders to 0,0,0,100,  export with the "PDF/X-1a" preset, then re-import into Designer, and the text  shows the colour is CMYK 0,0,0,100. Are you using Designer or Photo? Is there anything done to the text? What export preset or settings are you using? How are you checking the final colour values?

Thank you for the information. The way you describe works well.

When working on a new project (now on Affinity Designer) I use the RGB mode to be free for different kinds of products. In this case I send it as PDF(printing) to a newspaper for printing. They told me all letters had all four colors and not only „K” as it should be. Next time I changed the export mode to CMYK. Nothing changed on the PDF they said.

I expected RGB 0,0,0 automatically change to CMYK 0,0,0,100. (Black in gray mode does not change to K too.) Is the only way to get simple Black by turning text to CMYK 0,0,0,100 even in a RGB file?

We don't currently have special treatment for black, so it goes through the standard CMYK colour conversion which probably won't produce CMYK black. So, yes, you'll need to edit the text. You can use a global named colour to make it easier in future.

I expected RGB 0,0,0 automatically change to CMYK 0,0,0,100. 

RGB 0,0,0 is considered true black. In CMYK K100 is process black rather than true black, it is slightly more grey. In CMYK true black (the equivalent to RGB 0,0,0) is around C75 M68 Y67 K90 depending on colour profile. This is why you get all 4 colours instead of just K100 when it is straight converted from RGB to CMYK, as it is preserving this true black.

When in RGB instead of using the RGB sliders for text a global or spot colour would be more suitable. You can quickly get a K100 swatch by going to the swatches panel  and changing the palette to PANTONE CMYK. In there the first four colours are the standard process colours, with one for process black

Hope that helps :)

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Of course you are right. I even noticed the differenz on the screen. But working in RGB and changing to CMYC only for exporting I would prefer K100 - especially for text. Small black letters composed by more than the colour K may look a little drunk.

I apologize for picking up this issue. I am not satisfied with the results of the discussion.

I just designed some simple graphics in CMYK mode, using only b/w. I created a 0/0/0/100 black and assigned it to my design. In the end I exported the layout to PDF. And exactly as described by Chris_K my black in Acrobat ends up as 76/67/65/79 CMYK. This is absolutely not acceptable. Every other color would export correct, but the most commonly used one, a simple black does not? Seriously, guys, you gotta work on this! Every printer will tell me to rework the artwork, and it does not help to "know" that if I re-imported it to Designer (which is still not the market’s #1) it would occur as black only. The printers usually test files with Acrobat Pro and when they see black being mixed from 4 colors they tend to go whoop whoop!

I really like almost everything about Designer, but this behaviour is crappy. Until today I only knew this from Apps like Word.