You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export defaults to folder

• Staff

Hi affwin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer exports to the last used folder by default. Currently there's no way to change this. Check this thread for more info.

I'm adding this to the Common Feature Requests thread and moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

• 4 months later...

+1.

This should of course also work when opening and processing RAW files.

For me this is one of the crucial settings of a raw/image processing software (and most other software editing for some sort of files).

Some do it by default (old PhotoImpact) or can be adjusted to do it (PS Elements 15), in some other ones the lack of this setting makes me constantly saving files to the false folder, which drives me crazy and is a huge time killer (Premiere Elements and Nikon Capture NX-D for example.)

• 2 months later...

I need the same as I'm working with a lot of small images I always have to save (export as JPG) the newest version of the image to the desktop or another default folder and then copy&paste it to the original folder. It's horrible when you want to modify a lot of smaller images.
So please add the option to save in original folder for the exporter.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I would like this feature addressed in preferences.  Why?  Because this user would like to configure a base folder below which I could look for RAW files to open, and a base folder below which I could find or create a directory into which to export the output.  I don't understand why anyone would want to put the photos s/he has developed into the same directory as the original RAW.  But I wouldn't want to stop them ;).

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This wish is still active.

EVERYTIME I export a file, I have to navigate through the file system to choose the location.
Mostly I export to desktop and immediately move the file to where I edited the original one. This is so time consuming...

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2017 at 5:45 PM, MikeM481027 said:

would like to configure a base folder below which I could look for RAW files to open, and a base folder below which I could find or create a directory into which to export the output.

of course it would be nice to change this behaviour in preferences for anyone, who has a more pro-like workflow. (look eg. for lightrooms destinationfolder options)

To me it is logical that the application remembers an <input> and an <output> directory separately.

- in classic macos-days this was the case as I remember (or was it the "defaultfolder"-haxie-extension...) - when the switch to OSX came, many Apps only remembered the last "used" folder which is simpler but for today's standards a very unintelligent behaviour. 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);