You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ham + Pigeon = ?!?

MantaMike

Well, it doesn't really make sense in english but I thought I would post it anyway and wish you all a merry Christmas at the same time.

The text on the illustration is from a danish Christmas song about "Søren Banjomus" (a mouse with a banjo named Søren) and the chorus goes: "Skille-ma-dinke-dinke-du..."(which doesn't really mean anything). When my son was younger it sounded like "Skille-ma-dinke-skinke-due"

Skinke = ham and due = pigeon, and that word got stuck in my head. Yesterday the Christmas spirit hit me and transformed into this illustration :)

Merry Christmas

Michael

post-2045-0-05829700-1481880485_thumb.jpg

Cool story and funny illustration!

:D

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

By the way, no animals was hurt in the process of making this illustration :)

:)

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Brilliant. Both the illustration and the story!

I know we have something like that chorus in Norway too, but I can't remember the exact "words" now. ;)

(Isn't it fascinating how children's cultures can spread around the world?)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I have three banjos, bit they do't have names ...

And I know a song with the chorus "Skinny-malinka-dooleum". I wonder if there's a connection?

Oh, it's the mouse who is named Søren, but it would be a better story if it was the Banjo :)

It seems that the original song it's based on is from a Broadway production "The Echo" back in 1910... well, you learn something new everyday.

Brilliant. Both the illustration and the story!

I know we have something like that chorus in Norway too, but I can't remember the exact "words" now. ;)

(Isn't it fascinating how children's cultures can spread around the world?)

Thanks Madame. I'll have to see if some of my norwegian friends knows it :)

Cool story and funny illustration!

:D

Alternatively, funny story and cool illustration. On second thoughts, given that there's a pot of mustard in the picture, perhaps that should be "hot illustration"! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I like Your illustration very much (nice texture overlay) and I can hear You singing it while illustrating... Glædelig jul og godt nytår!

Thank you very much Henry... og et rigtig godt nytår til dig også :)

Nice conversation folks, thank you all. This is what I enjoy about international forums, the coming together of kindred minds from all over planet earth.

I agree, it's nice to do a bit of digital traveling :)