You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Legacy products - new versions?

• Staff

Hi Oldwestern,

Welcome to the Forums :)

The X range products are no longer in development. We will be releasing a Desktop Publishing app in the future called Affinity Publisher however this isn't a replacement for PagePlus it wont be compatible with PagePlus files for example. If you would like to find out more about Affinity Publisher you can read more below :)

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/about/

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Oldwestern,

The X range products are no longer in development. We will be releasing a Desktop Publishing app in the future called Affinity Publisher however this isn't a replacement for PagePlus it wont be compatible with PagePlus files for example. If you would like to find out more about Affinity Publisher you can read more below :)

Thanks

Callum

I do hope that your statement that "it won't be compatible with PagePlus files" is not correct, and if it is then this 'omission' will be given more thoughts/consideration in the development of Affinity Publisher.

As a customer of Serif for longer than I can remember I will be purchasing Affinity Publisher when it is released but when I do I do not want to also have to have legacy PagePlus installed because of this incompatibility.

It would probably be possible to exchange most projects via an intermediate format like PDF, as Affinity and PagePlus both handle PDF in a very intelligent way. The point is probably that even if Publisher could open PPP files they would have many features that are not compatible, not due to the file format but due to different features in the products. So exchanging projects would always be lossy anyway. Thus the intermediate format is less important. 

This is not a simple issue of "backwards-comaptibility" but of different programs - Publisher is a fresh start and not a successor of the "Plus" range, though it is clearly visible that the experience and certain elements of the Plus range do have influence in Affinity development. 

(just some observations)

Hi Oldwestern,

Thanks

Callum

Thanks for this information, though not at all what I wanted to hear.

While I'm glad that, at last, with Affinity, there's a product range mimicing the versatility (and price) of Serif's X range, designed to work across all platforms (PC / Mac / Tablet / Mobile), I cannot understand why no one thought to incorporate a way to translare/transfer Serif X range to Affinity.

I'm not alone in having numerous (hundreds) of files containing all sorts of text, picture and/or drawings, each with complex format settings - and that it comes as a blow to lean that the only way to get files incorporated is by importing them as PDFs.

Is there no way to provide a fle conversion utility - I'm sure it would be welcomed - heck, I'd even pay for it!