You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Needed: Quick (and I mean quick) tutorial for experienced photoshop users

I just purchased Affinity Photo and I am excited to get started.  That said, there are enough differences between it and Photoshop that I quite quickly get stymied.  That isn't really a problem in and of itself as any new software carries a learning curve with it.

That said, it would be very helpful if someone could put together an "Affinity Photo for Photoshop Users" video or document.  It would have to be very very quick - i.e. I don't need to learn what an adjustment layer is, or how photo editing works.  What I need to know is where my color swatch palette is located, and how I go about selecting a color when painting (holding option in the brush tool doesn't seem to work).  Just a quick mapping between "In Photoshop you do this common thing this way, in Affinity Photo you do it this slightly different way."  I tried to watch the tutorial videos but they are very very long when all I am trying to do is get an overview of the UI (I already know about the fundamentals underlying photo editing).  The key here is quick.  Just two or three sentences for each mapping.

Of course I will figure this out eventually on my own, but when I am on a deadline (which is almost all the time) taking time to learn really really basic UI things makes me jump right back to Photoshop to finish my work.  Having this rosetta-stone-like document could ease that transition.

So... is there something like that out there?  Is that something that the Affinity team could whip up?

• Staff

Hi bvz, thanks for the suggestion, you're correct that something along the lines of a familiarisation guide would be useful, are there any other techniques or functions that you can point out off the cuff?

I can help quickly regarding the colour picker - you're along the right lines, you just have to click-drag when holding Alt/Option to switch to the colour picker then release the mouse button to assign the picked colour to your active palette. Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks for the quick answer.  I think that when I get back to my computer after the holidays (I am getting 10 well earned days away from computers) I will try to put together a document that does exactly what I am looking for.  I will maybe make a posting here with the things that I come up with and maybe others can chime in as well.

• 5 weeks later...

bvz, this is exactly what I'm looking for as well.  I would love to see a new series of videos posted to the Affinity Vimeo page covering this.  Honestly I was pretty surprised something wasn't created to cover these differences before launching on Windows since most of the new users will have experience with Photoshop.

Sadly right now my new copy of Affinity Photo is collecting dust next to Photoshop because I can't afford to learn a new piece of software right now with my deadlines.  Throw your more advanced users a bone Affinity!