You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good iMac Retina configuration for AD/APh

Since really exploring Affinity products, I decided it's time I put my MacBook Pro aside and get something that AD and APh can really take advantage of the core features of the latest hardware.

What would be your model choice, screen size, most helpful peripherals/accessories?

Of course budget has to come into it, but I am more interested in the right equipment to get work out without being extravagant and wasteful.

Thanks for your replies.

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

I am running an iMac Retina 5K 27 -inch with Intel Core i5 with 24 GB memory with a regular spinning hard drive and both Designer & Photo fly.   It came with 8GB of Mac memory then added and additional 16 GB of third party memory (OWC) and what a difference that extra 16 GB made. This set up was an upgrade from my Mac Mini.

I am hooked on large monitors and love the screen real estate; and if one of our Windows machines is idle will connect a second 27" monitor to enable applications to run side by side at full screen.

My most useful accessories are:

Wacom Pro (Smal) tablet for detailed photo editing and portrait retouching

Two Fast external hard drives a 4TB drive for backup and an 8TB drive for media storage, my video projects just chew through disk space

x-rite i1 Pro Color Profiler

I have had this set up for about six months now and loving every day. Which is good as I usually spend 5+ hours editing.

Hope this helps in your decision making

MK

Mike you have been so helpful.

You make a very strong argument for 27". I was going to go smaller screen but go to i7, but your approach seems better.

You have helped a lot.

Michael

------
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Michael, note that recent 21.5" screen iMacs do not have user upgradable RAM. They come with 8GB standard, with a 'built-to-order' upgrade to 16 GB that Apple charges a hefty $200 extra for.

The 27" ones do have user upgradable RAM. The base model comes with 8GB (two 4 GB modules installed in two of the four slots). The slots can be accessed very easily. Each slot can take an up to an 8 GB module, so you can save quite a bit by not ordering a RAM upgrade from Apple & upgrading the RAM yourself, using modules from reputable 3rd party vendors like OWC.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

My new to me iMac is a refurbished 2015 model. Good price, tho' I had to upgrade peripherals to use the newer USB and Thunderbolt ports.  See specs below. 

I can get AD to display the spinning beach ball, but it is rare. Yesterday, I created a mesh of 240 irregular dashed lines, and expanded all the dots to curves. Then did a combine. Did hit a wall there. I suppose there may have been at least 15000 dots in the mass. But in less intensive use, I get only a few seconds before the screen updates if I have lots of noise and.or fx  applied to a couple hundred objects.

I have a Huion model 1409 tablet. Quite inexpensive for its size, and works well w. AD. I do have rather bad arthritis, so I suppose some of the problems I have w. pressure control are on my part, not the tablet.

In regular use, the display is quite wonderful.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Michael, note that recent 21.5" screen iMacs do not have user upgradable RAM. They come with 8GB standard, with a 'built-to-order' upgrade to 16 GB that Apple charges a hefty $200 extra for.

The 27" ones do have user upgradable RAM. The base model comes with 8GB (two 4 GB modules installed in two of the four slots). The slots can be accessed very easily. Each slot can take an up to an 8 GB module, so you can save quite a bit by not ordering a RAM upgrade from Apple & upgrading the RAM yourself, using modules from reputable 3rd party vendors like OWC.

Great tips R C-R, now I know which traps not to fall into.

Thanks also to MikekPhoto and gdenby. 

Michael

------

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike and others who replied. Here is what I got.

iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, 

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB1TB HDD, it came with El Capitan, so I upgraded it to macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I am running an iMac Retina 5K 27 -inch with Intel Core i5 with 24 GB memory with a regular spinning hard drive and both Designer & Photo fly.   It came with 8GB of Mac memory then added and additional 16 GB of third party memory (OWC) and what a difference that extra 16 GB made. This set up was an upgrade from my Mac Mini.

I am hooked on large monitors and love the screen real estate; and if one of our Windows machines is idle will connect a second 27" monitor to enable applications to run side by side at full screen.

My most useful accessories are:

Wacom Pro (Smal) tablet for detailed photo editing and portrait retouching

Two Fast external hard drives a 4TB drive for backup and an 8TB drive for media storage, my video projects just chew through disk space

x-rite i1 Pro Color Profiler

I have had this set up for about six months now and loving every day. Which is good as I usually spend 5+ hours editing.

Hope this helps in your decision making

MK

I am totally on board with your configuration Mike. Instead of a good refurb, $1780 got me a late 2015, brand new but it's still a current and supported model. 

The 2 x 4GB is a bit lame, but I will add 2 x 8GB and should be ready to rock and roll.

Also found a used Wacom Intuos 5 (small) + wireless kit  on eBay and its on the way. 

I asked on another thread about wireless lag with the Wacom and Affinity say they have some wireless ones and they work fine. What is your experience or do you suggest I use USB?

Michael

------