You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating Udemy Courses for the 1.5 update

Hi all,

Just to let people who have bought the Solid Foundations course or the RAW Image Development course know that I'm rolling out new videos that talk about the new features in the 1.5 update. So far I've put up 3 videos about HDR & tonemapping with one or two more to come. The other features will be posted as soon as I can do them. The RAW course will have the videos that are appropriate to RAW development, which I think should include the HDR & tonemapping features.

This is a free update to the courses for existing owners & will not affect the price for new buyers. I'll make an announcement via the Udemy email service to all course owners when all the new videos are up. I just wanted to let people know that the first ones are already there in case they want to check them out as soon as possible. I'll add to this thread when new ones become available.

Thanks for your time,

Simon Foster

Oh, the 2 courses in question are here - https://www.udemy.com/affinityphoto-solid-foundations/ and here - https://www.udemy.com/affinity-photo-raw-image-development/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi:

I have looked at your courses and have just bought Affinity. I did so because someone on an FB group recommended it for fixing the skys in aerial panoramas.  So I am looking for tutorials on fixing skies, or at least circumventing the problems caused when you use the "Content Aware" fill in Photoshop. Here is an example of problem I am trying to fix:

I'd been interested most in the fixing of a content aware paste, but also techniques for sky replacement.

post-51269-0-44836300-1486400429_thumb.jpg

Hi greytail. Fixing the seams on 360 photos? I cover that in the 1.5 update videos. My personal take is that I'll try things like content aware fills to see if they work (nice when they do, often they don't) but as often as not I resort to the old fashioned way of using the clone stamp tool. As for sky replacement, selections and layer masks are your friend. I cover them on the Solid Foundations course.

Hi:

I am hoping you will do more work flows for 360 aerial panoramas. For instance, what would be a good work flow for actually building a library of sky pictures? How would you do this?  I was thinking of simply taking my Phantom 3 Pr and pointing it up into the sky and circling around in one spot, taking 8 pictures, then bring them into Affinity for stitching and then blending them into another aerial pano? Is this a good idea? What about a lesson going over the workflow for this?  

I am confused about how to do gradients...I can do them in Photoshop.  I bought Affinity because it can display a 360 pano the way you would really see it, but my attempts to repair a seam have not been good. This is mainly because the color and consistency of the pixels on either side of a seam is different, so using the  clone tool does really work. Do you have an answer to this problem? I can post an example if you want...

Sorry if this sound a bit confused! :)

Hi greytail. If I understand correctly, are you asking if you could use a device that doesn't take 360 photos and then stitching them together to make a 360 photo as per a dedicated 360 degree camera like, for example, the Theta S? If that's the case I can't think of a way offhand to do this. You can turn round with a regular camera while taking a series of photos using File -> new Panorama. But that will extend side to side, not up and down. That may also explain why you get such a strong seam along one of the edges. Also, stitching together a series of photos into a panorama - I believe - is normally done with the camera looking straight ahead and moving side to side. If you point the camera up or down at a significant angle I would imagine you would run into problems where the software isn't expecting to have to deal with an up or down angle as well as side to side. But I may be wrong because tbh I've never thought to try doing it. Maybe one of the technical boys at Affinity could shed some light on this?

Thank you Simon. Your pointing me in the right direction makes it obvious why I was running into problems. I was trying to apply Styles to a photograph rather than a clipping mask.

Despite working through your three courses (Foundations, RAW, Tips) it seems my memory for detail wasn't sufficient to take it all in. It has to be either a RAM problem or a momentary lapse. I'm pretty sure it's the latter... sigh.

Once again I appreciate your assistance.

Ed

Hi greytail. Do you have the Solid Foundations course? If so check out the second of the two videos on equirectangular projections in the 1.5 update section from about 8:05 minutes in. I describe how to do this by fixing a seam in the sky. The seam you have is more pronounced, but there's almost no critical detail like clouds and definitely no hard detail like people etc.

In a nutshell, the clone brush tool is your friend. Given the area you are talking about, I'd use a 100% opacity brush with a large size and soft edge to lose the big stuff, then I'd go in at, say, 30% opacity and build up softer areas. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...