You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assuming you are using Photo, you probably have "Protect Alpha" checked off. Uncheck it when you have the brush tool selected.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I was referring to Affinity, and I assumed you were as well. We can't help you with Fastone Image Viewer since this forum is only on Affinity products.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

A few options while trying to guess what you mean (you might want to post more detail on your problem, preferably with examples, if none of these addresses your question):

If you have created a transparency mask in Affinity (either Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer) by dragging one layer onto the thumbnail of another layer (in the layers panel), you can right-click on the mask thumbnail image in the thumbnail and select Release Mask (note: you must right-click directly on the thumbnail, not on the general layer area). I think the Mac uses Ctrl-click as an alternative if you do not have a two-button mouse?

unmask.png

To create a new blank file with transparency in Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo, be sure to tick the Transparent Background checkbox.

transp.png

To erase areas of an image in Affinity Photo, you can use selection tools and the Delete key on a keyboard, or the various eraser tools as shown below (and other techniques such as masking).

In Affinity Designer you can use the Pixel Persona and the Erase Brush tool to erase areas from an image or object (and masking and no doubt other techniques).

erasers.png

To save a file with transparency, you need to export in a format that supports transparency (such as PNG-24 - Affinity automatically recognises and includes transparent area information in the edited image), and not export in a format that does not support transparency (such as JPG/JPEG).

How you would set up FastStone viewer to show transparency in the exported image, I also have no idea (I prefer IrfanView as my image viewer) - you might have to ask FastStone.