You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frankentoon premium brushes - Texturizer Pro

Frankentoon Studio

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased them and have been giving them a quick run through...

Thanks a lot Lynn, I really, really appreciate it. I know you're gonna love the brushes :D

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

• 4 months later...

Well, I caved in and bought them this evening. (I already had the free Texturizer-A set, so I knew what to expect.)

is that set still somewhere? would be nice to try out a bit before buying.

Other users in Europe may be interested to note that Gumroad charges VAT but Sellfy doesn't. As luck would have it, I only discovered this after I purchased through Gumroad, which is where I usually buy this kind of product.,
that's nice to know but Frankentoon should really a) make their website HTTPS or let sellfy sell on another HTTPS'ed page. because with how it's right now, anyone can go and swap the iframe for any kind of stuff and maybe even get people to enter their CC data

also @frankentoon, are these vector or pixel brushes? for example your pattern painter pack says it is pixel-based but it is under http://www.frankentoon.com/vector-packswhich is kinda misleading.

well putting the small stuff aside, these brushes sure dont look bad, but probably take a bit of skill to be used properly.

is that set still somewhere? would be nice to try out a bit before buying.

Here's a demo pack I published a couple of months ago. The download link is at the bottom of the page.

- Thanks for your advice on my website security, I'll take notes on it for sure.

- Those are pixel brushes. I'll change the address to franken-packs as soon as I can for clarity :)

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

thanks frankentoon. by the way is there a list or so of all these brushes?

really curious of what's inside that thing.

also thanks for the demo pack, I'll try to try it out.

also are pixel brushes better in some ways compared to vector brushes? I mean vector brushes would scale into infinity and not look worse when you want to make a thing super large or whatever (which essentially is one of the main reason why I like designer, that it's a vector based software).

also are pixel brushes better in some ways compared to vector brushes? I mean vector brushes would scale into infinity and not look worse when you want to make a thing super large or whatever (which essentially is one of the main reason why I like designer, that it's a vector based software).

Vector brushes need something to be applied to ie a curve or path or a shape, box, circle, star etc...

Pixel brushes behave more like a real brush would, by painting and applying colour....

The awesome thing about designer and photo is that you can have it both ways. :-)

post-305-0-09483900-1498777319_thumb.png

But aren't pixel brushes implicitly also applied to a point, curve or whatever when you paint with those?

I mean technically it should be possible to record normal brush strokes as curves (although maybe not making each stroke its own object) and therefore do so with vector brushes?

Also you could use tjis to just slightly adjust the brush path when you made the line instead of every time undo and redraw

I mean if you want to do something really big, wouldn't you kinda have to throw pixel brushes into the trash because a very thick brush tip would get pixelated as hell?

well let me try to rephrase it a bit.

you say vector bushes have to follow some kind of path like a line, curve or whatnot. but isnt it pretty much the same for normal brushes in real life and by extension pixel brushes?

I mean the only difference is that you cannot see the path or modify it later, but in the essence when you draw with your brush you essentially in the essence draw a kind of path implicitly, for example when you fill an object you dont bucket-fill with a brush (well obvious) but you have to draw some way or another (for example draw lines up and down, left and right or whatever you like

small example. if you let for example a mouse recorder run while you draw with a pixel brush, you have the path you made with the brush  and can recreate it later on.

and for a vector brush you also follow some kind of path, just with the difference that here the path is explicitly, as in you can see and modify it later.

the attached screenshot 238.png for example shows a form I filled up using a vector brush just kind of randomly, while screenshot 239 shows the same form but filled up with a pixel brush, also kind of randomly. doesnt look too different as far as I can see.

also wouldnt pixel brushes due to the fact that they are pixel based, look really bad if you use them for something really large? because pixel-based things dont really scale well.

post-46348-0-82755800-1498816107_thumb.png

post-46348-0-39435500-1498816121_thumb.png

I see what you're saying now, thanks.

Yes you do draw or paint with pixel persona in a sort of path that isn't available for further manipulation after you release your mouse or pressure sensitive pen.

Yes you do need to be aware of the limitations of pixel based workflow for high resolution work. This is one of the drawbacks of working in pixels only. A fully vector workflow allows you to get around this but I would argue may not give you the same amount of organic, painterly options, if that is what you're needing. I guess it really depends on the sort of work you want to do.

Plus a very dense vector workflow can give you other performance or memory related issues that a high resolution pixel piece won't. For example if you are "painting" with textured vector brushes to mimic a pixel based painterly look you will accumulate a large amount of paths fairly quickly forcing Designer to calculate each one of those paths every time you pan or rotate your work. 

When I work I usually keep everything at 300ppi and at a reasonable height and width size that will look good if ever printed but won't slow down my computer unnecessarily while I'm working on it.

You need to ask yourself if you really need to be able to enlarge your finished piece to infinity or if you can get away with a more reasonable size.

well sometimes you might to scale large for example for large posters or whatever.

also are there any differences in the mechanics of the brushes that need this kind of seperation?

I mean if the brushes basically aside from the fact that pixel brishes are applied directly while vectors stay as curve, then there would be not really a reason to do seperation. as for the need of processing power, true this is a problem but could be solved by "locking" brush layers when you finished working with those so those dont need to be regenerated all the time unless you actually do something with those.

also I might say "scale to infitity" a lot but well it's an exeggeration but pixel designing has been annoying in my opinion because vectors scale both down and up pretty well which doesnt work as nicely with pixels

also can you give me a bit more explanation on that "organic" and so on part? I kinda dont get that part. I mean the vector brush tool can seemingly draw quite normally (at least with a mouse, dont have a pen-tablet) (the toll with the half annoying, "you have to set every part of the curve yourself" is iirc called "pen")

• 2 years later...
21 minutes ago, Ade Setiawan said:

Sorry can't import your brush pack in my software affinity designer

Hi, since you've already sent this message to our support email address, someone from our support team has already got back to you several minutes ago. Please, check your email inbox, since we don't offer support over the Affinity forum.

Thank you,

Enrique

• 3 weeks later...