You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Correct Green "Pet" Eye

I use my camera to mostly capture photos of my two Shih Tzu.  Outside photos are great but with the flash inside I get the green pet eye.  I do have a flash that bounces off the ceiling but our can ceiling is 20' high so I have to bring that flash down to level.  I have used many methods in the year that I have had Affinity Photo and none have really worked well for me.

So what method would you use to best correct a pet photo with green pet eyes?

The best solution would obviously be to have dedicated green-eye removal, but have you tried inverting the image, applying red-eye removal and then inverting the image again?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is what I get using Alfred's suggestion. 

post-3524-0-58160800-1481837095_thumb.jpg

Since the inverted removal replaces the green with whites instead of blacks, probably not what you want...

Too bad. It seemed like a clever idea. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi!

I think it's easier if you use adjustment layers and masks. Here's the process, I used.

1. Create Black & White Adjustment layer -> Create Mask for it and paint it black

2. Use Brush tool to draw over the eyes with white on the mask

3. Create Levels Adjustment layer -> Create a Mask for it and paint it black -> Crank up black levels to above 50%

4. Use a soft brush (i.e. 0% hardness), adjust the size to be the same as the eye and start clicking until you find it dark enough.

5. To adjust how much the eye shines, you can do so by lowering the black level in the Levels adjustment layer and/or by increasing the brightness level of greens in the B&W adjustment layer.

post-46283-0-25372600-1481840450_thumb.jpg

post-23040-0-72029400-1481848466_thumb.jpg

Maybe this, starting at 14:49...

https://vimeo.com/120458870

but watch the whole thing too 'cause it is so good!  :)

Thank you Jer, I had success!  I have been trying to find an easy solution to this problem for the year that I have had AP and this is the first time it works for me.  I am a hobbiest photographer just snapping photos of my family and pets and AP is the first photo editing software I have ever used so am not too experienced.  I have attached the corrected photo that had green eyes before I watched the vimeo video you recommended.  The photo is rather small so hope you can see the eyes.  Again, thank you!

attachicon.gifEyesCorrected.jpg

Thank you Jer, I had success!  I have been trying to find an easy solution to this problem for the year that I have had AP and this is the first time it works for me.  I am a hobbiest photographer just snapping photos of my family and pets and AP is the first photo editing software I have ever used so am not too experienced.  I have attached the corrected photo that had green eyes before I watched the vimeo video you recommended.  The photo is rather small so hope you can see the eyes.  Again, thank you!

You are welcome and the eyes in your image look great! Retained the glint in each eye too!

BTW, since that worked for you and you edit a lot of your puppies' images you might like this one too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx4X-Nes-s&feature=youtu.be

it is the 5 steps method in AP to practice in every photo edit session. Good luck with your images!

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Well, you should be able to fix this in camera with your flash.  What you need is a diffuser on your flash which will give you wrap around lighting as well as not having the flash directly hitting the eyes. Same technique for eliminating red eye.  For informal images I use a Gary Fong diffuser, works very well it raises the light above the lens and gives really nice wrap around lighting- tad over priced for what it is but pays for itself in not having to eliminate eye problems in post.  For more formal shots I use a small translucent umbrella either shooting through the umbrella or bouncing light into it. The trick is not to have the point light source directly over the lens.

Attached is a shot of my adopted pooch using a Nikon Flash and translucent umbrella.....  No pet eye :)

Hope this helps

post-23600-0-08286300-1481862576_thumb.jpg