You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Connecting open end of an object

10 minutes ago, mwcs said:

As far as I can tell, nothing happens.

Are you sure you selected both curves before using "Join Curves"? IOW, the nodes of both curves must be visible on the canvas when you do this. It doesn't matter if any are selected because "Join Curves" joins the two closest nodes of the two curves, but the nodes of both curves have to be showing or they are not both selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, both are selected. I have attached a screenshot as proof. I've tried hundreds of different things and can only conclude that AD cannot cope with breaking a curve and joining the ends to different ends. I cannot join them using the pen tool either.

Affinity_Designer_-_services-hex-individual__Modified___630_4__.jpg

8 minutes ago, mwcs said:

Why can't I select specific nodes that I want to join and use a tool to join them?

Because the Affinity apps do not currently support that. They may in the future.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, mwcs said:

Ok, thank you for confirming that it is not possible.  I'll post something in the feature requests and feedback section.... I can't be the only who expects that a "join curves" button to be able to join curves. 

If you mean join a pair of selected nodes, this has already been requested by quite a few users.

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

If you mean join a pair of selected nodes, this has already been requested by quite a few users.

Thanks. I did a search before joining this thread but wasn't sure how to filter for specific feature requests. How can I find this "join a pair of selected nodes" feature request thread and what is the best way of voting for this feature? Presumably writing "+1" or clicking the heart-like button.

Just to finish off on a positive note with a solution for Newbies:
 If you're having trouble trying to join nodes or close curves:
1. modify your shape so that the bits you want to close are overlapping,
2. use the "add" button. 

Affinity_Designer_-_services-hex-individual__Modified___616_9__.jpg