mirkea

Open recent list doesn't get updated properly

- have this list: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/16awkjth7hnqztk/shot_161215_144641.jpg

- open a new file called "splash.afdesign" and edit it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/5fs1efmceyrx3oa/shot_161215_144822.jpg

- save file and close the app

- reopen app

- the "splash" file is not  in the Open Recent list: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zjqbvku07dwdgs1/shot_161215_144942.jpg

Update:

I tried clearing the list and that didn't seem to work as well

This is what happens after I press the Clear button and then open the menu again: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3of7vfa5y5vesv5/shot_161215_145221.jpg

The Clear button is disabled but the list is untouched

Affinity Designer.zip

Edited by mirkea

Do you have a beta version installed?  A beta and retail version will have different recently used lists it sometimes catches me out

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

Hey mirkea,

I've seen this reported before but I was never able to reproduce it. Can you send me your AppData folder? You can find it by doing the following:

1. Windows key + R

2. Type %appdata%

3. Navigate to Affinity > Designer

4. Make a copy of the folder in there, zip it up and attach it to the forum.

Thanks

@Chris

I've attached a zip in the OP

there's also something I realized that might cause the bug:

my settings folder

C:\Users\Mircea\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0

is actually a symlink that points to a different folder:

C:\Dropbox\Utils\Apps\Affinity Designer

since I use Dropbox on both my work and my home pc and I like to sync my Affinity Designer settings between the two (have the same shortcuts, panels layout etc)

@pauls

I had the beta installed but removed it once v1.0 was released

Looks like the dropbox thing is causing problems due to a conflicted version of the recent files list. I can safely say we didnt design for this configuration. Do you have the app running in 2 locations looking at the same settings folder.

@pauls: what are the conflicted versions?

I see some files such as

preferences (mirkea's conflicted copy 2016-12-12).dat

preferences (DESKTOP-OB4CNNH's conflicted copy 2016-12-06).dat

but there's also a

preferences.dat

so the conflicted files are just junk that gets ignored, right?

@chris

thanks

I will try to remove the symlink just to make sure it's not the issue

When dropbox sees 2 different people (computer sessions) changing a file it creates a newly named version. Affinity is assuming it has sole access to these files, so it looks like when you saved the splash file it got saved as a single entry into another file. I dont think this way of sharing settings is totally reliable but should work if you are strict with closing down sessions between different locations. Alternatively you could have home and work folders and manually sync the files ( Make sure both computers are always on the same version though!)

After deleting the conflicting file and changing which files are linked (I left "RecentFiles.xml" individual to each system) the error went away so it was definitelly a user error not an application one :)

Feel free to close the thread

I see the same issue with Open Recent, and I am not using drop box.

• Open AD 1.5.1.43
  • File > New - accept defaults.
  • Draw a square.
  • Save file - local HD (d:\temp\Some File.afdesign)
  • Look on Open Recent and it is nowhere to be seen.

post-43096-0-54718700-1482185188_thumb.gif

Note: If I quit AD, then "Some File" does appear on the Recent list next time I launch the application.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

I see the same issue with Open Recent, and I am not using drop box.

• Open AD 1.5.1.43
  • File > New - accept defaults.
  • Draw a square.
  • Save file - local HD (d:\temp\Some File.afdesign)
  • Look on Open Recent and it is nowhere to be seen.

attachicon.gifOpen Recent Bug.gif

Note: If I quit AD, then "Some File" does appear on the Recent list next time I launch the application.

I see exactly the same thing here: the new file doesn't appear on the 'Open Recent' list until the next session.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

For completeness I just tried AP and Open Recent works correctly (newly created files do appear in the list).

But retested AD and files do not appear until the app is restarted regardless of where they are saved (internal HD, external HD, network drive).

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

Thanks for the update. I've tried it with another HDD connected via USB and it still works. Any chance you can send me your AppData folder? If you go to %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\ and make a copy of the 1.0 folder, zip it up and either PM me a link or attach it here I might be able to find out more.

Which build are you using, Chris? I've just found out that it works for me in the last customer beta, but not in the release build. Both builds are reported as 1.5.1.43 on the splash screen.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Some other aspects to this bug...

I select Open Recent > Clear

Then look again at the Open Recent menu, and it i still populated, but the clear button is now grayed out!

I try to open a file that no longer exists on the disk.

AD tells me the file is missing and offers to remove it from the list.

I choose Yes.

I look at Open Recent, and the file is still there.

Zip file attached.

1.0.zip

What is really strange is that when I open a new file, it appears immediately in RecentFiles.xml ?!?

For completeness I just tried AP and Open Recent works correctly (newly created files do appear in the list).

How very odd! It isn't working for me in either the release build (1.5.0.45) or the latest customer beta (1.5.1.47).

Alfred online2long.gif

Some other aspects to this bug...

I select Open Recent > Clear

Then look again at the Open Recent menu, and it i still populated, but the clear button is now grayed out!

I try to open a file that no longer exists on the disk.

AD tells me the file is missing and offers to remove it from the list.

I choose Yes.

I look at Open Recent, and the file is still there.

I recall these issues being reported before, possibly even during the public beta.

Alfred online2long.gif

Zip file attached.

I've reproduced it with your folder. Thank you. This should help get to the bottom of it.

Alfred is right, I saw the Clear button failing to work as early as the customer beta. Perhaps everything is all linked. 

We have worked out that the cause of this issue is adding your own keyboard shortcuts. If I delete the Workspaces folder from the 1.0 folder you attached, it works fine. You can then of course reproduce this from scratch by adding some shortcuts, restarting the app and then opening a file which won't add it to the Recent list until you restart the app. Thanks everyone :) 

Hooray :)

Any idea when we might see the next AD customer beta?