You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Vinther,

It sounds as though you've told Windows to always open your ORF files into Affinity. Had you previously had thumbnails for them? Windows is unable to show thumbnails for all RAW files (particularly newer ones) so won't. Affinity thumbnail handler will only show thumbnails for afdesign and afphoto files, so if you don't have any additional thumbnail handlers for RAW files then it will not show them.

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Blu-By-U said:

IS there any workaround so that we can see the thumbnails? 

You can get a Codec pack as I did, works very well for all My Olympus RAW files.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

On 11/9/2017 at 1:30 AM, Blu-By-U said:

Have already paid for Affinity Photo, Why pay again if a FREE Faststone can do it seamlessly?

Because Faststone isn't really showing you the raw images with their thumbnails, it is displaying the embedded jpeg preview within the raw files.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

6 hours ago, Blu-By-U said:

From checking, it seems that Faststone is just displaying the embedded jpg. why can't Affinity do the same? Why rely on Microsoft's file explorer?

Because Affinity provides the Photo editing software, we don't provide Windows Explorer plugins for files. 

On 09/11/2017 at 6:29 AM, Blu-By-U said:

Even a FREE faststone have no trouble displaying those thumbnails.

FastStone Image Viewer requires a licence for commercial use. Even though it’s free for personal and educational use, it’s supported by donations. And it isn’t an image editor, it’s only a viewer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For a program which is supported by donations, Faststone offers a very usable set of editing tools. I have been using faststone for a long time and even giving them a donation for their efforts. BUT Affinity is not free or on donation.

It's a PAID software and as a client, I find that I cannot see the ORF to enable selection for editing. If I had know of this short fall, I would not have purchase this. AND since I only had it for less than 30 days, Can I ask for a refund as I cannot possibly be using an alternative program to see what I need to edit before opening it. And since there is no 1 stop solution and there is no offer for it to be fixed either.

Blu-By-U,

They have already tried to explain you that the preview of media files has nothing to do with a graphics editor.

The reason why you can see the preview in Fastone Image Viewer is because, like the name implies, is a viewer.

When it comes to open the raw files from within a graphics program, the software can only rely on the native OS to preview the files on your hard drive. And that's not a limitation of Affinity Photo, this would happen in any other software.

You can try free software to enable preview in Windows Explorer which will work for all the graphics applications you have installed on your machine (because these apps work at the OS level).

Here are a few examples:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/

Argus Viewer (can't find the link at the moment)

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Media-Preview

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Finally something works.

Thank you verysame. Why did you come in earlier?

25 minutes ago, verysame said:

Blu-By-U,

They have already tried to explain you that the preview of media files has nothing to do with a graphics editor.

The reason why you can see the preview in Fastone Image Viewer is because, like the name implies, is a viewer.

When it comes to open the raw files from within a graphics program, the software can only rely on the native OS to preview the files on your hard drive. And that's not a limitation of Affinity Photo, this would happen in any other software.

You can try free software to enable preview in Windows Explorer which will work for all the graphics applications you have installed on your machine (because these apps work at the OS level).

Here are a few examples:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/

Argus Viewer (can't find the link at the moment)

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Media-Preview

Give Sagethumbs a try, I used to have it installed on my box a while back and it worked pretty well.

I'll see if I can find the link for Argus Viewer, I remember was kind of buried on their website.

Media Preview as far as I remember it's mainly for video files.

I personally switched to fastpictureviewer codecs, it just works too well.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

As long as it's FREE, Won't mind trying. That Sage is painfully slow. Maybe it's not optimized for windows 10.

18 hours ago, verysame said:

Give Sagethumbs a try, I used to have it installed on my box a while back and it worked pretty well.

I'll see if I can find the link for Argus Viewer, I remember was kind of buried on their website.

Media Preview as far as I remember it's mainly for video files.

I personally switched to fastpictureviewer codecs, it just works too well.

Hope that helps.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.