You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PNG - from white to transparent background

• Staff

Hi JesperBechPetersen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Which application are you using? Affinity Photo or Designer?

If it's Affinity Photo go to menu Filters ▸ Colors ▸ Erase White Paper. This may not work for all colour images without protecting the subject with a selection first.

If it's Affinity Designer (there's no filters here) select the layer, click on the cog icon on the top right of the layers panel to open the Blend Options dialog, then on the on the Source Layers Ranges graph (on the left), drag the right endpoint to the bottom and the left endpoint to the right until the white starts disappearing just around the borders of the elements (they become semi transparent) see screenshot below. You can also use this method in Affinity Photo.

post-59-0-14692700-1465035739_thumb.png

• 3 years later...

Thank you. MEB! It's 3 years later, but I just came across your post b/c I had a similar Affinity Photo question. It worked! I went to Filters > Colors > Erase White Paper, and it worked! Thank you for solving my question, and it's so easy! I'm going to make a note of this one; I'm sure I'll be using it again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Found this and tried it out, but as white wasn't 255,255,255 (presumably) only a partial removal took place, leaving RGB at about 20 ish. In contract the CS2 (!) backround removal works perfectly on the same image.

What did work on Affinity was the background removal brush, but it does need a bit of work to ensure all the background has gone. AfPhoto isnt quite there yet, but getting close.

I also tried a magic selection, but not only did it select the white, but also part of a deep blue section. Not possible to use that reliable thn.

• Staff

Hi Lightsmith,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What application are you using and what method did you use? Erase White Paper was developed mostly to remove the white background from sketches, line art etc, Only blacks will be opaque, greys will appear semi-transparent and white should be removed. It's not the best solution for general use. Regarding the Flood Select Tool you must adjust the Tolerance in the context toolbar - set it to a lower value for - to restrict the range of colour it selects. For whitish area set it closer to 0 (zero).

Hi MEB, I used Photo for this on a scanned blue signature. The white removal left a faint grey fill rather than complete removal. The flood select was changed but still selected part that must be miles away from the selection colour.

The whites were about 246 on the scan, not 255.

Edited by Lightsmith
update

• 2 weeks later...