You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5.5 - Beta 1)

• Staff

Can I leave 1.5.4 installed with 1.5.5 b1?

Any good reason to do so?

I saw on APh beta forum they said to leave them running along side.

Michael

The 1.5.5 Beta is a Customer Beta - so it needs to see your installed 1.5.4 from the Mac App Store in order to allow it to run. If you remove 1.5.4 then it won't run anymore... :)

The 1.5.5 Beta is a Customer Beta - so it needs to see your installed 1.5.4 from the Mac App Store in order to allow it to run. If you remove 1.5.4 then it won't run anymore... :)

Also, betas are there to test new features, not to use them on production projects. The official versions are still the only legal ones to use officially.

Also, betas are there to test new features, not to use them on production projects. The official versions are still the only legal ones to use officially.

The purpose of this version is to improve the stability of the released product. It contains no dangerous changes, only fixes and minor usability improvements. We would recommend that all users download and use this version. It should be considered more reliable than the current Mac App Store version (1.5.4)

Relative to the current status, a 1.6 beta would be to test new features and not for production. With a 1.5.x beta, an expected stability improvement, Serif encourage the use of them over the current official release.

• Controversial change to pixel documents: 100% view now maps document pixels directly to screen pixels. If you have a retina Mac you will now see 100% view showing a pixel in the document on each pixel on your display.

I've reread this several times but can't figure out what it means (i is dumbs). I use a non-retina macbook to design in AD, and mirror @2/@3 png's to retina devices for previews. Will this "controversial change" affect me?

Many thanks :)

• Staff

I've reread this several times but can't figure out what it means (i is dumbs). I use a non-retina macbook to design in AD, and mirror @2/@3 png's to retina devices for previews. Will this "controversial change" affect me?

Many thanks :)

Depends on exactly what you mean by "mirror to retina devices" - if Affinity is drawing its view on one of these devices (screens?) then yes, but if it's another application that you're viewing them in, then you'll see no difference.

Basically we used to draw pixel documents as though they were points - a 100x100 pixel document used to take up 100x100 points on your display (which is what you'd get if you put it on a website) but now we put 1 pixel on each pixel of your display, so a retina display will now show images half the size it used to - as per Photoshop.

Glad to see 100% = 1:1 pixel view, although it might still be useful to be able to see 1px : 1pt view as before... maybe a toggle on the view menu?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Can I leave 1.5.4 installed with 1.5.5 b1?

Any good reason to do so?

I saw on APh beta forum they said to leave them running along side.

Michael

In addition to what Matt said, you can have the retail version and customer beta version installed as two separate apps, yes.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Relative to the current status, a 1.6 beta would be to test new features and not for production. With a 1.5.x beta, an expected stability improvement, Serif encourage the use of them over the current official release.

Thank you, that's what I read too.

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

• Staff

Glad to see 100% = 1:1 pixel view, although it might still be useful to be able to see 1px : 1pt view as before... maybe a toggle on the view menu?

You can still get this, by setting the document units to Points, so I figured it wasn't too harmful and would make most people happy :)

• Staff

Merry Christmas to you, Matt, and to the entire team! It has been an exciting year, and I hope you will find some time for yourself in the upcoming holidays … :)

My best wishes and happy holidays!

Alex :)

You too, Alex! Have a great Christmas! :)

Merry Christmas to you, Matt, and to the entire team! It has been an exciting year, and I hope you will find some time for yourself in the upcoming holidays …  :)

My best wishes and happy holidays!

Alex  :)

What he said! thumbup1.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi guys. Is there a way to link paths (to create holes) without rastering for svg export? On AD itself works fine. Also if i do export to EPS. But if i do export to SVG, on Illustrator i only can see the linked paths filled with the color of the layer on top. I hope you have a usable solution for me cause my customers are waiting.

Edit: I found out that my exported svg looks right on Inkscape. Maybe the problem here is Illustrator?

Hi, I just tried the 1.5.5 beta and the synchronization issues on symbols is still there. When I tried to disable the sync to edit one instance of an object and then sync enable again, that particular instance of an object doesn't synchronize anymore. The other instances are still in sync, though. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

If Publisher were available, I truly believe we wouldn't be having conversations about adding such features to Designer.

Yes, about that Publisher being available..  *cough*

:) 

Happy New Year, still.

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

When I drag to move a symbol instance, the position of the pixel layer in the symbol is broken.

macOS 10.12.2
Affinity Designer 1.5.4 & 1.5.5 beta 1

Steps to Reproduce: 
  1. import PSD that has pixel layer.
  2. create symbol (include pixel layer).
  3. create symbol instance.
  4. move the instance by drag.

Workaround: 

Rerasterize all pixel layers in the symbol.

When I drag to move a symbol instance, the position of the pixel layer in the symbol is broken.

macOS 10.12.2

Steps to Reproduce: 

Workaround: 

Yep, I can confirm.

Generally pixel layers and symbols are not good friends.

As far as I know Matt was working to solve this before holidays, so it will be sorted in next betas.  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

macOS 10.12.2

Steps to Reproduce: 

Workaround: 

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm having the same problem. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33565-buggy-symbols/(point 2).

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Hey Folks

Since some versions there is a bug when moving an object by holding shift and pressing the arrow keys and after that duplicate the same object by holding alt and drag the object --> the object, which i was moved before, moves back to ist originally position.

Thanks for fixing and the good work!

Kind Regards

Andi

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.