You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5.5 - Beta 1)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes & Minor Improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5.5 Beta 1 Here

The purpose of this version is to improve the stability of the released product. It contains no dangerous changes, only fixes and minor usability improvements. We would recommend that all users download and use this version. It should be considered more reliable than the current Mac App Store version (1.5.4)

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements

• Controversial change to pixel documents: 100% view now maps document pixels directly to screen pixels. If you have a retina Mac you will now see 100% view showing a pixel in the document on each pixel on your display.
  • Wireframe view mode now allows the user to select locked items by click or marquee. Basically, if you're in wireframe view and you can see it, you can now click it to select it. This makes wireframe view much more useful for toggling on/off to select specific items in the document.
  • With rulers visible and a high-frequency input device such as a pen tablet (or a mouse in macOS Sierra) the rulers would make the document update very slowly, this has been resolved.
  • SVG export of gradients is now more compatible with QuickLook.
  • Stability fixes for text.
  • Fixed bug applying OpenType contextual rules.
  • Fix for crashes with 32bit documents on Lion and Mountain Lion.
  • Fix for right-clicking a text object in the Text tool failing to select the current word if the user is over the caret.
  • Improved PSD import/export of HSL adjustments.
  • Improved PSD import of fill layers with empty stroke masks and also parse line origination data.
  • Import badly-formed PSD files created by Marmoset.
  • Fix for occasional crash with embedded documents.
  • PDF export fix for Overprint flag which was not getting unset at certain times, leading to items unintentionally overprinting.
  • Fix for system chime noise when holding Cmd+Alt+Space.
  • Fix for layers panel showing incorrect document information when changing from Separated window mode to normal mode if multiple documents are open.
  • Fix for some images opening and saying they are 1dpi

• Staff

I just downloaded.. let me explore everything... I hope wished features will BE included.

Hi,

As mentioned above, the intention of this beta version is to improve stability of the released product and not to add new features. As soon as this version is released to the App Store we will move on to betas which include new functionality.

Hope that makes sense? :)

Matt

Hi,

As mentioned above, the intention of this beta version is to improve stability of the released product and not to add new features. As soon as this version is released to the App Store we will move on to betas which include new functionality.

Hope that makes sense? :)

Matt

Yes that is fine. So in new betas we can expect new functionality/features right? ...

or as in another question I've posted.  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/31258-i-cant-move-text-if-longer-then-canvas/ I was answered that features will be publishers. not in designer.  

The exact answer was "Linked text will be a Publisher feature. There's not much point in pasting such huge amounts of text into Designer."

But look at these images created in AD.

slice1.jpeg

slice2.jpeg

" I'm sorry for that big sized images.. "

I typed rate list in MS word, and then copied and pasted here.. The Neither the text area expanded to fit the text not there was any way to link the text. I had to copy and paste again and again and again and once more again and may be 2 or 3 times more "again" to fit text to their respective areas.. 

If you think what I designed in Affinity designer shouldn't be designed in Affinity designer but in publisher than i think you are wrong. Affinity is enough capable that let me design stunning stuff but why can't i have linked text in AD. 

There are some other features for-example.. during logo design.. I had to optimise or reduce path nodes.. but there was no way like in AI "path simplify". or image tracing kind of thing. Dont' you think these features should be in AD?. 

Hmm, I wonder why you would need *linked* text frames to create these designs. From where to where is the text supposed to flow? Did you intend the rate list to be one long story? Wouldn’t that be a bit fiddly to control anyway?

Just curious …  :unsure:

when I type .. being a designer I usually do make mistakes :P because I keep eyes on design and forget the spellings. so actually my client gave me that list typed by him. 

and when I had to design, I first draw draft boxes, with dummy "lorum ipsum". and when design started giving me an outlook.. I started putting text. ... after that i realized that I need to change design. and all changes made the text extending the box... 

And that made me bound to do that "again and again and again and again" thing.  :huh:

Yes that is fine. So in new betas we can expect new functionality/features right? ...

New features should appear in beta next year. There may be several stability betas first.

or as in another question I've posted.  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/31258-i-cant-move-text-if-longer-then-canvas/ I was answered that features will be publishers. not in designer.  

The exact answer was "Linked text will be a Publisher feature. There's not much point in pasting such huge amounts of text into Designer."

But look at these images created in AD.

Well, the linked post is about a Google document that is 47 pages long. That's what I meant by "huge". The images you pasted here are only two pages. They aren't really huge, and I don't think linked frames are needed for them. Their text seems to fall into logical sections, "Threading", "Bleaching Treatment" etc, with each section naturally being positioned as a single frame with contents you could copy and paste from your source document. I don't think there is a need to flow text from the Facials section to the Haircare section, for example, because they are different sections and you wouldn't want the Back Scrub price to flow into the Haircare.

There are some other features for-example.. during logo design.. I had to optimise or reduce path nodes.. but there was no way like in AI "path simplify". or image tracing kind of thing. Dont' you think these features should be in AD?.

Simplifying paths and tracing images do belong in Designer. The only reason they aren't in already is that we've not had time to write them yet. Tracing images in particular is hard to do well, so won't appear for several more years. We are proceeding as quickly as we can, but there is a lot to do.

and when I had to design, I first draw draft boxes, with dummy "lorum ipsum". and when design started giving me an outlook.. I started putting text. ... after that i realized that I need to change design. and all changes made the text extending the box...

Are you aware we have Lorem Ipsum text built into Designer, that dynamically grows to fill the frame? Text > Insert Filler Text. Also, because Affinity does not hide overflow text, the height of a text frame isn't all that important to how the text looks.

Are you aware we have Lorem Ipsum text built into Designer, that dynamically grows to fill the frame? Text > Insert Filler Text. Also, because Affinity does not hide overflow text, the height of a text frame isn't all that important to how the text looks.

.. yes I do know that.. Thanks for that tip anyway. :)

New features should appear in beta next year. There may be several stability betas first.

Well, the linked post is about a Google document that is 47 pages long. That's what I meant by "huge". The images you pasted here are only two pages. They aren't really huge, and I don't think linked frames are needed for them. Their text seems to fall into logical sections, "Threading", "Bleaching Treatment" etc, with each section naturally being positioned as a single frame with contents you could copy and paste from your source document. I don't think there is a need to flow text from the Facials section to the Haircare section, for example, because they are different sections and you wouldn't want the Back Scrub price to flow into the Haircare.

Aren't you being very specific to this one document? shouldn't this be taken as just a "case"?

The very last output what I shared was a workout of different iterations. As you may have noticed this is tri-fold brochure. . Initially it was to be just horizontal 2 folds with multi-columns view.

This is what I suggested to the client. 

but still suppose.. as i'm a designer, and i usually designer brochures, newsletters etc, and there are a lot (most of the time "always") in multi columns format.. with some "headings/titles" in between columns and text. so those "titles" usually wrap the text in around. 

This is just a quick example in MS word. 

multicolumn.png

Please note.. this is a multi-column thing.. that is also missing yet. But i just wanted to show what I meant.  

I'm sorry that I gave  google document in example.... but what if we have to...I also know this is not a word processor, but if i've to stay within like word processing than MSword is like a father of all.

but if you mean I shouldn't use designer right now until that gets mature or i should remain paying (extraaaasss to AI) what I don't want to. (i'm already in love with Affinity Family).. then I should stay silent or wait for publisher.

and If you mean.. this is a very very hard to code.. then I should take my request back... but if you can make "auto lorum ipsum" in AD that expands when textarea is resized than this is not a big deal.. only trimming of text lines array within a box and resuming in the next box.. (i'm sorry I don't mean to teach you.. you are super experts... )...  ;)

or there is only a pre-defined policy that WE (DEVELOPERS) HAVE TO PUT THIS THING IN PUBLISHER ONLY.. not in Designer.

Simplifying paths and tracing images do belong in Designer. The only reason they aren't in already is that we've not had time to write them yet. Tracing images in particular is hard to do well, so won't appear for several more years. We are proceeding as quickly as we can, but there is a lot to do.

YEARS ?  :unsure:
I'm so sorry for any harsh word if you feel, I am quite poor in english so sorry for that.

MattP,

Sorry I've been absent from the forums for 4 or 5 months (I moved abroad and it was quite the ordeal) but I've been following the betas I just wasn't able to log in and comment. It is late but congratulations on the new baby! Secondly thanks for all the hard work that you and the Affinity team has been doing. I noticed two issues are still present in the current beta.

1). I still have problems with the colour palettes. It always defaults back to a "Grey" palette after I close a file. That would be okay if it defaulted to a coloured palette but I rarely if ever use the "Grey" one. It is annoying to have to switch it every time. 

2). Maybe it is intended but when I have a shape added to the "regular" always there shapes, and then I choose it, the shape is then doubled because it pulls up the same shape with the "multi-shape" tool. Is that how it is supposed to work? 

And lastly, I know that you know but any news on a possible "Hide/Show All" popping up sometime? 

Hokusai

but still suppose.. as i'm a designer, and i usually designer brochures, newsletters etc, and there are a lot (most of the time "always") in multi columns format.. with some "headings/titles" in between columns and text. so those "titles" usually wrap the text in around.

Brochures and newsletters with multiple pages columns and flowing text are what Publisher should excel at. You can just about manage multiple pages in Designer with artboards, but it's not ideal. If Publisher were available, I truly believe we wouldn't be having conversations about adding such features to Designer.

Hello All,

I have a question. I working with the current version of Designer and I noticed that when I attempting to select multiple nodes or elements  via use of the "Shift" key I can't. To make sure its not my keyboard I went into System Preference > Acessabilty > Keyboards > Enable Sticky Keys. Once "Enable Sticky Key was activated I then went through my keys and all gave the proper pop up when pressed. When I go back into Designer I still can't select multiple items or nodes. Is any one else having this issue?

As always thank you.

15"-inch MacBook Pro, 2017, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 | 16Gb

If you think what I designed in Affinity designer shouldn't be designed in Affinity designer but in publisher than i think you are wrong. Affinity is enough capable that let me design stunning stuff but why can't i have linked text in AD. 

This is what you think but Dave Harris already answered what Serif will do and will not do. No idea why you asked for APu features in AD here again. There are other design apps that also have features that Affinity Publisher will have.

BTW: No designer would do what you have done with texts. One example that really hurts:

27727251ic.jpg

• Staff

Hello All,

I have a question. I working with the current version of Designer and I noticed that when I attempting to select multiple nodes or elements  via use of the "Shift" key I can't. To make sure its not my keyboard I went into System Preference > Acessabilty > Keyboards > Enable Sticky Keys. Once "Enable Sticky Key was activated I then went through my keys and all gave the proper pop up when pressed. When I go back into Designer I still can't select multiple items or nodes. Is any one else having this issue?

As always thank you.

I'm not having this issue... Can I ask whereabouts you're selecting things? In the Layers panel, or on the document itself?

This is what you think but Dave Harris already answered what Serif will do and will not do. No idea why you asked for APu features in AD here again. There are other design apps that also have features that Affinity Publisher will have.

And to add to this: while people can and do also design brochures and websites in Photoshop that’s not what this tool was intended for. There are just things some tools excel at (because they are designed for that purpose) and some aren’t. You wouldn’t complain that driving in nails with a screwdriver, albeit possible, is a pain in the ass, would you?

This is what you think but Dave Harris already answered what Serif will do and will not do. No idea why you asked for APu features in AD here again. There are other design apps that also have features that Affinity Publisher will have.

BTW: No designer would do what you have done with texts. One example that really hurts:

27727251ic.jpg

Oval aka the Typesetting Hawk(s)  :lol:

Now I have fear to share anything that includes typography...  :ph34r:

I am sorry .. you are not suppose to critique what i did. are you? instead of appreciating people that they love to use Affinity products you are behaving in opposite way. The thing you like you want to improve that and I only wanted to have those features otherwise I don't care about any other AI alternatives. I should remain a silent observer. And this is a forum to discuss , not to point out in a laugh way!

On 16/12/2016 at 11:18 AM, paolo.limoncelli said:

Hi mfarooqi!

Mine was only a joke with Oval, who is very picky with typography.

There was no intention (from my side) to critique your job, sorry if you understood that! :)

.. see this is what i'm doing. .

https://twitter.com/Affinitybyserif/status/807144693880516608

to sebastien : http://animscripts.com/images/email1.png

to my friends: http://animscripts.com/images/email2.png

And who is sebastien? (http://sebastien-gabriel.com/designers-guide-to-dpi/)

I'm not being paid from Affinity, but I want my friends to do use Affinity. 

I am sorry .. you are not suppose to critique what i did. are you? instead of appreciating people that they love to use Affinity products you are behaving in opposite way. The thing you like you want to improve that and I only wanted to have those features otherwise I don't care about any other AI alternatives. I should remain a silent observer. And this is a forum to discuss , not to point out in a laugh way!

Did not critique, just telling facts. But if you only Interpret in one way: If somebody is saying that he designs stunning stuff and he shows something else, his needs for linked text in Affinity Designer get implausible. 

It wasn’t said that you have to use other apps. But only the market pressure (this is what was meant) could change the decision of Serif not to add features like linked text "directly” into Affinity Designer. 

This (topic) is about the Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5.5 - Beta 1) and it does not really make sense to discuss those Affinity Publisher features here (more for bugs and thanks) because you already knew that they will need time (until 2017 / 2018 [Affinity Publisher]).

I'm not having this issue... Can I ask whereabouts you're selecting things? In the Layers panel, or on the document itself?

Hello MattP,

First let me say thank you for the response. With regard to the issue I posted— I figured it out. It's not Designer its my Wacom Pen. So, Im looking into purchasing a Huion 1060+ and leaving Wacom all together. Both my wife and I have been having issues with their products for years now & time to move on. 

Once again thank you for your attention in this matter.

15"-inch MacBook Pro, 2017, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 | 16Gb

I noticed another fix/improvement that is not on the list. The last three smart shape tools can be selected now. before, they could not.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Can I leave 1.5.4 installed with 1.5.5 b1?

Any good reason to do so?

I saw on APh beta forum they said to leave them running along side.

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.