You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After using the pen tool, can lines be joined? If so, how? I've seen this in other programs but I can't find it here.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi retrograde,

I must confess that I've always had so many other things to do that this one has been constantly floating just below the top so I haven't done it yet - which leaves me currently feeling very guilty. I've still got 4 or 5 hours before I need to build the next beta, so I'll start typing now and see where I get to (although I also have to run my eye over the changes to the Pen Tool that have been made and will also hopefully be in this new beta version) :S

Will let you know how I get on!

Matt

That sound you hear Matt is the sound o' the whip crackin'  Haha! Looking forward to the next update to see what goodies you've brought into it.......

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Hi retrograde,

I must confess that I've always had so many other things to do that this one has been constantly floating just below the top so I haven't done it yet - which leaves me currently feeling very guilty. I've still got 4 or 5 hours before I need to build the next beta, so I'll start typing now and see where I get to (although I also have to run my eye over the changes to the Pen Tool that have been made and will also hopefully be in this new beta version) :S

Will let you know how I get on!

Matt

... No worries Matt! Please don't feel guilty, you're making me feel guilty...  ;)

• Staff

...and... yes, you can now Join Curves in the current beta. It's on the Node Tool's context toolbar.

However, the reason I didn't spring straight into life and declare it boldly is because it's the most basic implementation possible, at present... It simply works through the curves in order and adds the start of each curve to the end of the curve before it.

I nearly finished doing the proper method that recursively finds the closest start/end pair of all curves and joins them together, but didn't get it done in time, so just abandoned and went for the simple approach so I didn't let you down! I'm about to start typing again with the proper version :)

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 years later...

Sorry to reopen this, but I'm having issues trying to combine curves created using the brush tool with a stylus, and wondered if there were any known issues with this, and hopefully known solutions?

It seems to work in most cases, however there are two instances in my current project where I cannot seem to join two separate lines or curves, and cant figure out why.

In the snip below, I am highlighting both points (the square and circle ones), then selecting 'join curves' from the Node tool action menu, however this does nothing.

Any ideas how I can get this to work?

My guess is its probably my error, due to not fully understanding the difference between the node types. I have tried converting both nodes to sharp, smooth and smart ones, but this doesn't seem to help join them.

Any help appreciated!

post-40551-0-86802300-1478471452_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Klicker,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If both nodes are part of the same shape and you want to close it you can select the shape, change to the Node Tool and click Close Curve (it's the second icon) from the Action section in the context toolbar.

If they are not part of the same shape, drag one node over the other (make sure snapping is enabled), then select both with the Node Tool and click Join Curves from the Action section in the context toolbar (see clip below).

post-59-0-89052100-1478508252_thumb.gif