You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone,

I got a question regarding the embedding of files (images, designer-files, etc.).

Do I miss something or is it intended that you can't edit the original file but instead editing like an instance of the original instead?

I have the following scenario:

Graphic artist A: He makes the layout and the design of an ad. (filename: ad.afdesign)

Graphic artist B: He takes the ad designed by artist A and uses them in a brochure. (filename: brochure.afdesign)

Artist B embeds the ad.afdesign in his file with the 'place image tool'.

Artist A makes a change in the file ad.afdesign.

Now it would be nice if the ad embedded in the brochure would update, but that's not the case, right?

Anything I'm missing here?

• 3 weeks later...

Am I correct in assuming this is referring to using the Place menu item? I was just trying a "placed" AD graphic within another AD document, then seeing if I updated the original artwork (AD file) if it updated within the document where it had been placed, or if there was some type of command to update it to the current version.

If I'm reading this thread correctly, the "placed" AD or AP graphic will not/cannot update if the original file is updated?????

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Hi nwhit,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

When you use the Place command to insert a document inside your affinity document you are embedding it. The embedded document is not linked to the original (external) file in any way, so any changes made to the external file will NOT be reflected in the embedded document.

To edit an embedded document, double-click it on the canvas or select it in the Layers panel and press the Edit Document button in the context toolbar (with the Move Tool selected). The embedded document will open in a new document tab where you can make all the changes you want. Changes made this way will be reflected immediately on the original affinity document where the file was embedded.

• 11 months later...

Hi, I'm still learning about Embedded documents. But I was wondering, about having a copy of the embedded object and unlinking it and so having two copies independent of each other?

So I'm making a mockup for a mobile app. I have icons as svg files which I brought in as embedded object. Then I used these to make a Light theme UI for the app. Now I copied the layout for a dark theme UI, the same images, text and these svg icons. However if I edit the colour of an icon (say on the Dark theme UI) it will change colours on both screen mockups (i.e. Light and Dark UI).

Is there a way of unlinking them? So that I have two icons that look the same but I'm able to change the colours without one affecting the other?

Not sure what you mean with embedded documents and unlinking here? If you embed/place an external source it's internally always a copy of that since there is no linking capability or external reference so far available. - Only if you define internal used parts (some objects) as symbols you can share or unshare (sync/unsync) these. See Symbols here and this video tutorial.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Well when I brought in the icon as an svg file into Designer and then copied it (so as having two icons). I wanted to have one black and one white. However changing the colour of one makes both have the same colour. If I change the colour of one to pink, then both are pink.

I was wondering if there is a way to separate one affecting the other though I should probably be using symbols for this. Thanks for the video.

• Staff

Hi Mabel,

Did you duplicate the embedded document inside Affinity? If so changes made to one will also affect the other. To prevent this drag another instance of the SVG file from the Finder to the document. Another options is to open the embedded SVG file double-clicking on it (it will open in a new tab) copy the contents of it to the clipboard and paste them in the original document. Then duplicate those as needed - they will be independent from each other.

Ah Ok I now understand, you placed a SVG inside which is treated as an embedded document. You then copied/pasted just that embedded one as another layer, yes altering one of those copies will then have effect on all copies here. - Place seperate SVGs inside, that way you have two independent embedded docs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for the replies v_kyr and MEB.

I've ended up opening the embedded file by double-clicking and copying to clipboard and then editing it (as I'd made some tweaks to the svg original icon within Designer), to have a dark and light version. (as Meb mentioned)

Sorry for the confusion. I'm going to go and try mess around with symbols for my next mockup.

• 1 year later...