You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy & Paste Selection

Hi,

how do I copy and paste a selection made with the marquee tool?! I am trying to duplicate some parts of an image and also try to copy a part and paste it as a new image (ctrl+alt+shift+n)

Edit:

Is it possible to switch the shortcuts for the Marquee tool?! I couldn't find it in the settings. Subtracting selection with Right+Left Mouse seems to be rather weird to me, especially since I have to make sure I release the left mouse button first, otherwise a new selection will be created. I would like to exchange it with DRAG+Ctrl since moving the layer is something I never did  :huh:

Edit 2:

Okay, just found out about "Copy flattened" ... what is the difference to Copy?!

• Staff

Hi Irrgeist,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you are working with a (Pixel) layer type. If the layer is identified as an (Image) layer type between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel, right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a (Pixel) layer. You can then copy/paste selections from it. Image layers retain all image properties but you can only transform them globally, that is, change their scale, rotate, skew etc. You cannot change their pixel data. Converting them to Pixel layers allows you to edit their pixel data - note this will rasterise the layer using the dpi you have set for the document.

You can set shortcuts for the selection tools going to menu Edit ▸ Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section, set the dropdown(s) to Photo and Tools and change the shortcuts from the list below. Currently you cannot change the shortcuts for selection's operations (add, subtract, intersect etc).

If you have more than one layer selected, Copy copies all layers as independent layers to the clipboard. Copy Flattened copies the layers as a single flattened pixel layer to the clipboard.

Hi MEB,

thank you very much for clarification. I didn't know about the differences of image and pixel layers! Hope the shotcuts for selection are changeable in the future. But I figured out, that it's possible to switch the selection mode via the buttons, so this will do it for me atm :)

Edit:

Just a short question. When I take a screenshot via the print key (Windows 10), the pixel data from the clipboard will get pasted as an image layer (via New image from clipboard), but when opening a png via the file menu, it will be loaded into a pixel layer. How come?!

Yesterday I added a small png as a new layer in Photo. It looked quite pixelated after applying rotation etc...I opened the file in Designer, and the PNG I used looked really sharp. I was quite surprised ... I wonder what happened here. Maybe I can reproduce it.

Edit 2:

This is what I mean, it still looks the same in the pixel persona...of course, in the exported image, it will be rendered to 2-3 red pixels...

unbenannt.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.