You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why, on why do people want everything?

• Staff

It's only a matter of time.   I think we did get a request for some sort of 3D modelling already.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I would rather that Affinity do a few things really well rather then attempt too many things and fail. Part of the problem with Adobe is that they have cast their net so wide that they seem incapable of putting out great updates in a timely manner.  Too many different areas and too many platforms.

I want a peanut butter and marmalade sandwich. Can you please add the sandwich maker functionality.

Thank You. 

I remember times when the shadows hit the market. It was a hype. Meanwhile shadows are boring.

BTW, if you browse through leading magazines, you won't see text on a curve, text with shadows and all the freaking stuff nobody needs, except the cheap coupon magazines... If someone needs 3D, he can invest into Rhino 3D.

Please keep Affinity Designer small, fast and stable and don't bloat it with unnecessary features. Almost everything (vector) can be done with Affinity, as long as the user knows how to do it (= learned his profession). 

Please keep Affinity Designer simple. I don't want to purchase a new iMac with a minimum of 16 GB RAM just to start this software...

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

I want a peanut butter and marmalade sandwich. Can you please add the sandwich maker functionality.

Thank You. 

It's here, in Layers>Breads>Sliced>Multiple fillings :lol:

But only in the Affinity Designer Butty version B) 

http://www.vanishederas.com/ken-dodd-and-others-ken-dodds-butty-book-1977---sandwich-recipes-with-humour-sold-9515-p.asp

Psst you didn't get this from me, OK? :unsure:

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I remember times when the shadows hit the market. It was a hype. Meanwhile shadows are boring.

BTW, if you browse through leading magazines, you won't see text on a curve, text with shadows and all the freaking stuff nobody needs, except the cheap coupon magazines... If someone needs 3D, he can invest into Rhino 3D.

Please keep Affinity Designer small, fast and stable and don't bloat it with unnecessary features. Almost everything (vector) can be done with Affinity, as long as the user knows how to do it (= learned his profession). 

Please keep Affinity Designer simple. I don't want to purchase a new iMac with a minimum of 16 GB RAM just to start this software...

You are absolutely right about tacky coupon magazines. However, you have missed the point / gone off on at a tangent. So here's why you need text on a curve:

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/attachments/corel-painter-and-coreldraw-forum/3439d1303993169t-how-curve-text-within-paragraph-text-block-predefined-shape-curved-para-text-jpg

• drawing tyres and putting the tyre specs on the wall
  • rotating circular charts, with wedge shaped cut outs
  • drawing POLO mints
  • Coins and medals
  • The official seal of the President of the US of A
  • clock and faces, industrial dials, ships throttle controls and other speedos
  • maps and atlases when countries and street paths demand curvature 

not to mention polar charts etc.

B) HTH

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

How often did you have an assignment for the circular tasks you have mentioned (or text on a line) during the past 12 months?

Just curious, because if you have an education as a designer you know how to do that for headlines or tires. Remember the times of Staromat, when the type had to be hand set with lithographic film?

masters discuss light

How often did you have an assignment for the circular tasks you have mentioned (or text on a line) during the past 12 months?

Just curious, because if you have an education as a designer you know how to do that for headlines or tires. Remember the times of Staromat, when the type had to be hand set with lithographic film?

Hi toyotadesigner,

Not that often.

As an untaught non-professional hobbyist, I came up with that reply from the top of my head.

However, I did try to draw a street map in Drawplus, from an Illustrator magazine tutorial, where the roundabout needed labeling. I am flattered that you and the forum, think I have had art training. :)

I just pick up things as I go along. As for staromat, I have never heard of it, but I'll Google it later (as I don't like not knowing) lithographics is a subject I have virtualy zero knowledge.  But I was a delivery driver for a cardboard printing firm and probably picked little facts through osmosis.

I have a few books on book cover designs, font collections, graphic design, box packaging layouts and even a dog-eared, out of date Pantone swatch book.

Been a big fan of Serif DrawPlus since version 2 :D

I do know how to answer random questions and respond with a pretty solid response. 

peter

ps if you want to know what these books are, feel free to ask.

Peter, Staromat is handsetting type, that means it is a craft from times before the 'everything-automatic-stuff'. Type setters who could set type along a line or any shape made very good money. You need to have an eye for the look, the spacing, kerning, line height, etc. 

It irritates me that today everybody expects everything with a simple click. The first DTP software turned those old crafts obsolete. This doesn't mean that I don't like computers or 'modern' times, it's just that I want to remind everybody to use their brains before demanding new features. Sure, algorithms can make life easier, but it's always good to know the basics. This will separate you from dumb bean counters who purchase a vector design software and call themselves 'designers'. Or purchase cameras and call themselves 'photographers'.

masters discuss light

Yup, I've got a bridge camera too and some cool pics to boot ...So I know if a picture looks great or not.

To quote (David) Bailey: I want 3 pictures that break my heart; not 3000 that break my hard drive.

I failed to mention, that I was CSE (4) trained in typing in school, in the 1980's. Here I learnt how to type, (touch typing was beyond me) set out, tab, balance and grow an eye for detail in print (Yup, I've got PagePlus and InDesign). 

I hate the lazy Facebook generation, who don't even know what a spellchecker is all about! As for Kerning and tracking, it's a skill that must never be forgotten. The kerning game online is really good fun, got 100% on a few exercises.

I've taken the time to read through this whole thread (wow!).  First, I'd like to say, good job at expressing the points.  Next, I'd like to put forward my point of view.

I have no formal graphic training.  I haven't even purchased Affinity Designer yet.  My experience has been using Corel/Photoshop/Illustrator at work, Gimp/Inkscape and Paintshop Pro at home over the years.  Given the discussion presented, I think a few people here are being a little narrow-sighted.  It's certainly easier to not combine tools, but I hope Serif doesn't go with that status quo - doing what everyone else is doing because everyone else is doing it isn't how you make a name and get ahead.

For me, I'm not asking for the kitchen sink; at least, not yet.  Sure I could see advantages to 3D and audio tools, but that seems like a whole different argument (and not as reasonable).  When it comes to Vector and Raster, they have too many similarities and that's why I would expect them to be combined.  The workspace is too similar  (2D plane, layers), the tools are similar (shape generation, shaders, selecting tools), they both have text generators, colors, etc.  It's almost like you could have a toggle button and when it's "on" it creates vector graphic and when "off", raster.

I know there's more to it than that.  Someone will probably say it's not so simple, or not so easy to do, but that doesn't matter to me as a consumer.  It seems logical.  Someone took a steam engine on a bike and added it to a horse carriage and came up with a car.  Both difficult to make in their own respect, combined for one logical piece.  They just go together and so does raster and vector.  For the parts that don't, you could certainly have a raster-only mode.  But I hate the complexity in having to open two different image applications when they both seem so similar.

As a consumer, I'd pay $150-200 for a combined product.  I don't like Adobe's subscription-based pricing and I've been getting by just fine with Open Source software.  I think I'm going to purchase Affinity Designer, but still weighing my options.  Just to give an idea of where my head is, I think the Adobe suite was over-priced and I would have liked to pay for an individual one-time purchase of $500.  I completely disagree with someone that said, a person shouldn't expect something in a $50 product.  When you start doing that, it makes me wonder what other features this $50 doesn't have; features that I may not use regularly, but has saved me in a time crunch in the past.

• Staff

Without pushing analogies too much, you wouldn't expect a Ferrari engine in a VW Golf for the price of a regular Golf, just because the rest of the metal is still a Golf.

Likewise, it's reasonable to suggest that a $50 product won't include all the (bloat) features of a $500 product.  Adobe expect a premium because they've probably spent a premium (maybe not entirely on development, but that's a different conversation).

We are a comparatively small team, compared to the team that made PS and AI - maybe not even a tenth of the size.  Saying that, we are trying to pack in a well thought out selection of well polished tools.  Over time that tool set is going to include all the tools people most commonly use and expect, and maybe a few new ones.

But, what one person believes is a must-have, you may find that 99% never use.  That's where we have to make a rational decision about where to invest our time.  Also, anyone who says that they cannot live without feature X in AI - they must already be using AI.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

we are trying to pack in a well thought out selection of well polished tools.

Very good to read your wise decision! Keep it that way. At least I prefer a fast and stable software with a small footprint. Don't make it a Corel clone for the Mac please.

Also, anyone who says that they cannot live without feature X in AI - they must already be using AI.

Bingo, you have nailed it. Thanks a ton for the clarification.

masters discuss light

I've taken the time to read through this whole thread (wow!).  First, I'd like to say, good job at expressing the points.

I have no formal graphic training.  

It's almost like you could have a toggle button and when it's "on" it creates vector graphic and when "off", raster.

They just go together and so does raster and vector.  For the parts that don't, you could certainly have a raster-only mode.  

Hi supervolting, welcome.

Glad you took time out to read and digest the posts in this topic. It may be new, but there are decades of experience here in this little part of the web, on various different backgrounds, styles and abilities.

Don't let the lack of formal training be a barrier: this forum is full of help. Go and search the Vimeo videos out and the other tutorials. 

Go on ask a question and see how quick you'll get a reply.

The toggle buttons are called personas.

Be brave: buy it.

peter

Without pushing analogies too much, you wouldn't expect a Ferrari engine in a VW Golf for the price of a regular Golf, just because the rest of the metal is still a Golf.

Who made engines for VW Beetles? Herr Porsche perhaps?

it's reasonable to suggest that a $50 product won't include all the (bloat) features of a $500 product.

We are a comparatively small team, compared to the team that made PS and AI - maybe not even a tenth of the size.  Saying that, we are trying to pack in a well thought out selection of well polished tools.  Over time that tool set is going to include all the tools people most commonly use and expect, and maybe a few new ones.

But, what one person believes is a must-have, you may find that 99% never use.  That's where we have to make a rational decision about where to invest our time.  Also, anyone who says that they cannot live without feature X in AI - they must already be using AI.

• I don't think that is a reasonable suggestion or expectation.  There's a lot of variables that factor into pricing, including cost estimation of what it's value is.  But then there's also getting people to use your product and not a competitor's.  Trying to break into a market is not easy that is why being feature-rich at a low cost is a strategy and a reasonable expectation. Customers don't know about the quality of the company, how good support is, how long they will be in business, what issues they have.  One way to offset that is through price.

The other contrary point is that there are a lot of open source softwares and there are more and more new ones all the time.  10 years ago that wouldn't mean much, but these days they come with a rich set of features.  It's not unreasonable to expect a paid version of a product to have more features than an Open Source version.

• The original Adobe team was pretty small :)  But yes, I like the well-thought option.  Often thats the reason why things like Corel products aren't as nice.  They haven't thought out the menus or usability.  I love polished products.

• Just because someone is using AI does not mean they are not potential customers.  There are so many people that have torrented illegal Adobe products, but want to go legit.  There are people that are legit but using a school or work license and want something at home - me :)  But I do agree, something that is going to satisfy only 1% of your customers may be of less priority verses a feature that affects 40%.  That's the tradeoff I'm sure you guys are great at determining.

In other news, I've purchased it :) Whether I can advise others to also purchase it, I guess time will tell.  I wouldn't have made a purchase if I hadn't looked at the tutorials  out there and learned a little bit about its quality.  Also, the responsiveness of the users here is encouraging.  I must confess, I think AD is probably worth more.  The best pricing strategy I like so far is Sublime's … free, until you have enough or want to pay for it then $70.  But that obviously comes with uncertainty and comes off as a risky venture, so understandable in the decision not to.

The only questions I have so far is whether there is an American version.  The menus say "colour" and "rasterise" as opposed to "color" and "rasterize".  Nothing major, just preference. 

I love polished products.

• Just because someone is using AI does not mean they are not potential customers.  
  • There are so many people that have torrented illegal Adobe products, but want to go legit.  
  • There are people that are legit but using a school or work license and want something at home - me 

Also, the responsiveness of the users here is encouraging. I think AD is probably worth more.  

The only questions I have so far is whether there is an American version.  The menus say "colour" and "rasterise" as opposed to "color" and "rasterize".  Nothing major, just preference. 

My favourite bits from your post.

Regarding future AI defectors checkout my post:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3768-do-you-know-what-adobe-users-are-saying-about-ad/

As for the spelling issue, it was me, who pulled up the incorrect American spelling (color): instead of the correct spelling (colour). At the risk of sounding like a BBC sitcom: English Spelling for English software. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/2021-spelling-mistakes/

Lol, many serious ideas and some fun stuff too.

I do tell people about AD because it is great value for money. Any software that will help me to finish a project quicker and better will be my best friend. I do not expect any silly stuff ( though the toaster sounded tempting ), but I just love the direct contact with the dev. Team.

I still would love to see my intelligent gradient vectors ( hear me Matt !! ;) ) but AD is on the right track. In our world we do get plenty of offers every day - free! Free! FREEEE!... Nope. Good work needs money, and if you are serious about your job/hobby you are willing to pay for it.

As I posted earlier: I do have a lot of licences for a zillion of apps for iOS/OS/ and android. I got many of them for free, many others I did pay for. It all started with the first iPhone, a whole new world of creativity. And I am very happy to see that mobile creativity is pushing the borders. AD is an important step, at least for me. Slick, stable, no fuzz, great results. AD is the basic Swiss Army Knife - when you really are in trouble it will do the job. And that's what counts.

You don't have any other problems, don't you?

I was born in Denmark, raised and educated in Germany, learned British English in school, later I've studied in the US, learned some Spanish as a side line. So I can handle 'both languages'. I lived and worked for a long time in Spain. Maybe I should request a German version while I am in Germany, and a Spanish version while I am in Spain? Hm, until today I counted 3 languages: German, English, Spanish. Maybe I should correct my language knowledge in my resumé: German, Low German, British English, American English, Spanish. 5 languages - wow. And imagine, I would never have had the idea to ask for an American version of Affinity. Thinking about it, I really should demand a Low German version. Or eventually a Historic German version? Or Middle High German? Or Swiss German? Geez, so little time, so much to do...

Feel free to translate Affinity into all the above mentioned languages, I really would appreciate it.

masters discuss light