You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

History Panel Settings

History Panel - Question 1

With the 'History' panel, is there any way to determine the actual settings used at each stage of an edit? For example, if I come back to an AF Photo image after a few months (which has been saved with History) and I want to see the exact settings I used mid-edit, say for a Levels Adjustment, is there any way to do that.

As far as I can tell, whilst I can go back through the History panel to the point where I made te edit, there doesn't appear to be a way to see what the actual adjustment settings I made were for the edit.

It would be so useful if you could double-click on any item in the History panel where a particular numeric adjustment has been made and in doing so, it brings up the relevant adjustment panel so you can see the actual adjustment settings made, e.g. the actual values of the 'Levels' adjustment made at that particular point in time. It would also make the History panel really useful... at the moment I can see that I made a particular adjustment, but without knowing exactly what settings I used makes it is a little redundant... it would also be really helpful for someone else working on a similar batch of images (as in you've passed a load of images over to someone else to work on and provided a master image for them to refer to) so they could see the settings used in the original edit, and replicate them if appropriate.

I realise this could sort of be achieved using Macro's, but I don't think that would achieve the same thing.

History Panel - Question 2

Say you've made a number of edits to an image, but the client wants to change something you did mid-way through the edit, but is happy with everything you did after that edit point, it would be great if you could turn the edits on and off in the 'History' panel, by clicking an 'eye' icon (or similar) next to the particular edit, so that everything after that edit remains in place.

At the moment, if you go back through the history to the point the client isn't happy (with say one particular adjustment) and then start to make further adjustments, all the 'future' history is then lost, so even though you may have a large number of additional adjustments you are happy with (which have taken many hours to make), they all disappear. It would be great to have a non-destructive 'History' panel which allowed you to turn edits off and on at any point within the history of the edit, without losing the adjustments made after that point in the edit.

This is the point where everyone now tells me, I am missing something and yes, both these things can already be done (though I've not found anything)...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Hangman,

Unfortunately both of your questions aren't currently possible within the History Panel. I will move this thread to the Feature Requests section as the improvements you have suggested would make a great addition to the app :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.