You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Some questions (and suggestions)

Maybe are already answered, but the forum is a little bit spreaded, so I ask (probably) again:

Q1) -Now, if I paste an image and I want to select an area and delete the selection, first I need to rasterize the layer. Is there any way to set pasted layers as rasterized ones by default? Or can you explain me wich advantages has this operating mode?

Q2) -I can't find where can I create a stroke for a selection of an empty layer. (I take a look around the logic menus near the fill options).

Q3) -Is there any way to create a simple line with a defined and non-mutable width size? I'm playing with arrow tool (without arrows on each side), but I can only set by %, and in addition it changes on moving de Y of the mouse.

Suggestions:

S1) -In the layers list panel, if we select several layers and click "RMB", would be fine to see there "merge selected layers" as well.

S2) -I would be happy to see an extra button in the navigator to resize zoom to 100% in a single click. Clip Studio Paint has this one and it improves a lot the workflow.

Thanks in advance.

• Staff

Hi ritin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. No, all pasted images are placed as (Image) layers which are considered an object layer type. They retain all original image attributes. You can transform them globally (scale, rotate, skew etc) but you can't edit their content (pixel data). You need to rasterise them to (Pixel) layers to be able to edit/change pixel data. When you rasterise an Image layer type Affinity uses the dpi setting specified in the Document Setup to perform the rasterisation discarding any additional data. This means that if you scale down an (Image) layer and rasterise it for example, you cannot enlarge it again  keeping the original quality of the (Image) layer.

2. Go to menu Select ▸ Outline

3. You can use the Pen Tool for this. Just click on the canvas to create a line with it. You can set its width in the context toolbar in the stroke width dropdown.

Thanks for the feedback.

S2 - Do you know you can double-click the Zoom Tool in the toolbar to set the zoom level to 100%? Pressing ⌘ (cmd) + 1 will also do it.

Hi ritin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. No, all pasted images are placed as Image layers (which retain original image attributes). You need to rasterise them to Pixel layers to be able to edit/change pixel data. When you rasterise an Image layer type Affinity uses the dpi setting specified in the Document Setup to perform the rasterisation discarding any additional data. This means that if you scale down an image and rasterise it for example, you cannot enlarge it again  keeping the original quality of the Image layer.

2. Go to menu Select ▸ Outline

3. You can use the Pen Tool for this. Just click on the canvas to create a line with it. You can set its width in the context toolbar in the stroke width dropdown.

1) ok!

2) so, that operation mode is based on 2 steps. Create the outline, and later fill. I would preffer a single step outline/stroke.

3) and how can I keep de Y along the stroke? I think would be better including "line" with those type of parameters inside shape tools.

Thank you ;)

3. I'm not sure i'm following you here... Can you elaborate a bit please?

Sure.

If I do that:

-LMB click

-Move from left to right

Then, the "line" I've done with the pixel tool isn't a consistent line, it's irregular. I tried pressing typical key modificators like control, alt, shift, but I can't get the expected result.

The Pen tool has four modes, selectable with buttons on the Context menu bar. The last one, Line Mode, constrains the Pen to creating two nodes connected by a straight line. The next to last one, Polygon Mode, does the same thing except you can keep adding nodes to draw a polygonal shape of nodes connected by straight lines.

There are also Snap buttons on the Context tool bar that allow you to snap the nodes relative to existing ones, which for example can be used to make horizontal or vertical lines.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The Pen tool has four modes, selectable with buttons on the Context menu bar. The last one, Line Mode, constrains the Pen to creating two nodes connected by a straight line. The next to last one, Polygon Mode, does the same thing except you can keep adding nodes to draw a polygonal shape of nodes connected by straight lines.

There are also Snap buttons on the Context tool bar that allow you to snap the nodes relative to existing ones, which for example can be used to make horizontal or vertical lines.

But if you want to creat a simple line, you have first to drag at least a little and later press shift. So... if in this small drag you don't paint straight, the line isn't perfect.

And if you press first shift and later click, is creating a line from another position to te current click.

Is that what you are talking about?

To create a simple line, select the Line Mode for the Pen tool. In this mode, you can just click once to set the starting point & click again to set the end point of the line, or click & drag to set the starting & ending points in one step. There is no need to hold down the Shift key unless you want to constrain the line to the horizontal, vertical, or 45° diagonals.

The Pen Tool Snap modes (different from the Snapping mode on the main toolbar) can also be used to snap or align the starting & ending points in various ways.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

To create a simple line, select the Line Mode for the Pen tool. In this mode, you can just click once to set the starting point & click again to set the end point of the line, or click & drag to set the starting & ending points in one step. There is no need to hold down the Shift key unless you want to constrain the line to the horizontal, vertical, or 45° diagonals.

The Pen Tool Snap modes (different from the Snapping mode on the main toolbar) can also be used to snap or align the starting & ending points in various ways.

That's what I need 95% of times. Align the line horizontally or vertically.

Probably I will have to combine with snapping options.

That's what I need 95% of times. Align the line horizontally or vertically.

Probably I will have to combine with snapping options.

Or just hold down the Shift key when creating the second node, or use Grids or Guides with snapping enabled for them.

Affinity Photo 

You should also be able to do this with two LMB clicks if you turn on the "Align to nodes of selected curves" Snap option for the Pen tool (on the Context toolbar). This will align the second node horizontally or vertically with the first one (or with any other node of a still selected different curve).

Since the Pen tool's Line mode only creates two node lines & leaves the last one selected when you start creating the next line, this Snap option allows you to create multiple parallel lines very quickly.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Sure.

If I do that:

-LMB click

-Move from left to right

Then, the "line" I've done with the pixel tool isn't a consistent line, it's irregular. I tried pressing typical key modificators like control, alt, shift, but I can't get the expected result.

Hi rintin,

Are you in Draw Persona or Pixel Persona?

I have suggested to use the Pen Tool but from your reply seems you are using the Pixel Tool in Pixel Persona to draw the line.

Can you clear this please? Which tool are you using (mouse hover it for a few moments to see a tooltip with the name of the tool)?

If it's the Pixel Tool, click on the canvas (don't drag) then press and hold shift and click where you want to finish the line, then release the shift key.

If you are using the Pen Tool there's no need to change its mode for this. Just click (don't drag) where you want the start point and click again where you want your end point. Shift will contrain the angles to 45º degrees. Press ESC to terminate the line.

Hi rintin,

Are you in Draw Persona or Pixel Persona?

I have suggested to use the Pen Tool but from your reply seems you are using the Pixel Tool in Pixel Persona to draw the line.

Can you clear this please? Which tool are you using (mouse hover it for a few moments to see a tooltip with the name of the tool)?

If it's the Pixel Tool, click on the canvas (don't drag) then press and hold shift and click where you want to finish the line, then release the shift key.

If you are using the Pen Tool there's no need to change its mode for this. Just click (don't drag) where you want the start point and click again where you want your end point. Shift will contrain the angles to 45º degrees. Press ESC to terminate the line.

Ahaaa, exactly!

Y was trying to use pixel , and what's working as I want is [P] tool!!

Learning every day new things to master AP as well as PS in the past :)