You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How does one tile multiple images in Affinity Photo 1.5? 

When I open multiple files I can see only one image at a time.  In PS I can tile them, or arrange them, but in AP it seems I can see only one at a time and must click on the tabs to switch between them?

I've attached screens shot of how this looks on PS.

post-30564-0-20723000-1481670570_thumb.png

There are no 'Tile' or 'Cascade' commands as such, but you can drag on an image window's title bar to make it float.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 10 months later...

Might it be possible to add a Tile option in a future version?

For example today I'm working on four separate images; the backgrounds are exactly the same in each but with a different image overlaid to each file and blended in. I need to ensure that each of the files have the same overall 'look & feel'. I am currently manually creating a tile of four windows but it is time-consuming to resize the window and match the zoom of each document.

Ideal scenario (for me) would be to have the windows tiled with each of the document fully filling each tile.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, LordyW said:

Might it be possible to add a Tile option in a future version?

For example today I'm working on four separate images; the backgrounds are exactly the same in each but with a different image overlaid to each file and blended in. I need to ensure that each of the files have the same overall 'look & feel'. I am currently manually creating a tile of four windows but it is time-consuming to resize the window and match the zoom of each document.

Ideal scenario (for me) would be to have the windows tiled with each of the document fully filling each tile.

Thank you.

That should be fairly easy to do in one document.

Just create one rectangle, fill it with one image (clipped) Size and scale to suit and duplicate it to make four.

By putting them inside one document but in a clipping frame, they are easy to work on and then separate into individual files.

tiled.jpg.def4d6e6e8f532043c2ff62c2ab86341.jpg

Now double click on each image in turn and on the context menu select Replace Image. As long as the replacing images started off the same size, they will be in the same relative position and size as the first image.

replace.png.103623750076c751343e21cf56e3a6c1.png

Edited . . . 

After getting all four rectangles, with their images, correct. Select each layer and Export each one as a Selection to a separate file or cut and paste each rectangle into a brand new document. File > New From Clipboard.

You will end up with four files that match.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

53 minutes ago, toltec said:

That should be fairly easy. 

Just create one rectangle, fill it with one image (clipped) Size and scale to suit.and duplicate it to make four.

Yes, but ... this thread is about tiling windows within the Affinity MDI, not about tiling images within a document. :)

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, Alfred said:

Yes, but ... this thread is about tiling windows within the Affinity MDI, not about tiling images within a document. :)

Oh no. I think you were right about those glasses. B|

Now, where did I put that Specsavers brochure.

Mind you, my approach would work perfectly for what LordyW wants to do, I think. 

After getting all four rectangles correct, with their images. Select each layer and Export each layer as a Selection or cut and paste each rectangle into a new document. File > New From Clipboard.

:P

3 hours ago, toltec said:

After getting all four rectangles correct, with their images. Select each layer and Export each layer as a Selection or cut and paste each rectangle into a new document. File > New From Clipboard.

Having done that, how do you get your four document windows to fill the application window in a neat 2×2 grid? :/

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Having done that, how do you get your four document windows to fill the application window in a neat 2×2 grid? :/

Why would anybody want to do that ?

2 minutes ago, toltec said:

Why would anybody want to do that ?

As @LordyW explained a few hours ago:

5 hours ago, LordyW said:

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

As @LordyW explained a few hours ago:

"For example today I'm working on four separate images; the backgrounds are exactly the same in each but with a different image overlaid to each "file" and blended in. I need to "ensure that each of the "files" have the same overall 'look & feel'. I am currently manually creating a tile of four windows but it is time-consuming to resize the window and match the zoom of each document.

I take that to mean he wants to end up with four "files having the same overall 'look & feel"

Not a desktop view of four images which will only last as long as the computer is on, and Photo running.

It's the "files" bit I'm working on. I could be wrong, it happened once before :P

We need a mediator.

4tiles.jpg

Hi Everyone, thanks for the responses so far (and sorry for not responding sooner) - I hope I'm not wasting your time with unclear language but I'm relatively new to all this. My project was as follows:

Four individual portraits of children which would ultimately become four prints. The portraits were blended into a background which is exactly the same for each print. The children were of very different ages, so their head sizes, spacing between their eyes etc was quite different. Furthermore the portraits were not done in a studio, so lighting was ever-so slightly different for each child.

I simply wanted a quick way to view all four images on screen at the same time, in exactly the same size, (as that is how they will ultimately hang when printed) as a final check that the four images had a 'similarity of style' that I was happy with.

I've now finished the project and it's gone to print. I ended up just opening the four files, and used CMD+0 to ensure they all filled their four windows equally. Then I quickly switched between each window repeatedly for my visual check. What I'm missing is the ability to tile these four windows.

Any suggestions are still welcome though as I may have another similar project soon.

Thank you all again.

Assuming all of the 4 documents are the same size

Create a document twice as wide and twice as high as one of the 4 documents you have

Then use the File > Place command to place all 4 documents into that one new document (evenly spaced)

I assume the 4 image documents you have will be .afphoto files as you stated you did some work on them.  If this is the case then each Placed document will be an embedded document which means you can double click it to work on it further, (adjust lighting etc) in its own document window and when you close that window the master document (with the 4 images) will automatically update with the changes you have made.

Here is a video on placing documents

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.