You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IMHO, if you're using basic primitives (cube, sphere, cylinder, cone, etc) or shapes you made yourself  then it's just using tools at your command to create references that you're using for your art, vector or otherwise. If you're using somebody else's renders, (w/o permission) then it's theft ( as in Roy Litchenstien). "Cheats" are used in so many disciplines of art (Animation, Comics, etc) usually they are used to quicken the process to finish the work that's under deadline. If you know the principles of perspective and such, then you're just using a shortcut to finish the work, not to avoid learning the "hard stuff." 

For one of my comics, I used photos of the town I live in as reference. Did I make use of the perspective and such in each picture. You bet your assets I did. :) If I had googled for images, and used them in that way, then that would be cheating as I would be using somebody else's work for my benefit. 

The "old masters" used to use panes of glass, positioned in a fixed holder and then traced a scene on it using (iirc) grease pencils  to get perspective right. 

This is a very personal thing, and opinions can vary all over the place. I feel that if you used the 3D app to create your own renders, then use that render as a tracing reference in your work, then it's totally cool. 

I do pretty much what you do when drawing my comics, I use the 3D render to get the vanishing points right in a pixel/raster app that has perspective rulers. Big time saver, as I can then adjust the perspective as I've put in the time and effort to understand the principles. Same with using a Mannequin for figure drawing, esp in the "harder" poses. I don't have access to living models and sometimes I just can't photograph myself so I use the mannequin to jumpstart the drawing. Is it a cheat? Not really, as I've logged in many weeks and weeks of life drawing and study of anatomy. Sometimes we all need a bit of help and we have to use the tools at our disposal.

To coin a cliché, amateur artists cheat, professional artist use shortcuts. ;)

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

using a 3d application to "build" your reference image is not cheating. Sure it would be better if you spent the time building your perspective my hand it might even make you a better artist. It just a tool, there nothing wrong with using a tool. I could draw with my fingers but I do better with a pencil ;)

As long as your not taking someone elses work and claiming it as your own.

-R

Steal like an artist

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Well thanks for the opinions guys, I've spent many years learning to model correctly in 3d and would like to utilise those skills in 2d, I always want to become a better artist though so thats where the conflict lies.

I think I'll try to learn some traditional 2d techniques and then see what transpires..

Thank you.

Well thanks for the opinions guys, I've spent many years learning to model correctly in 3d and would like to utilise those skills in 2d, I always want to become a better artist though so thats where the conflict lies.

I think I'll try to learn some traditional 2d techniques and then see what transpires..

Thank you.

Ohh we understand conflict! Your not an artist if you don't struggle to some degree. 

Well I am not sure what your into but I gonna take a guess that you like to do more hard surface stuff it thatthe case may I suggest this book

Cheers and good luck!