You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] apply brush to path

In Affinity Photo Trial (1.4.3), I want to apply a brush/texture/pattern to a curve. The stroke style panel has the option to select a texture style, and then it looks like the "Properties" dialog is the right place but most of the buttons are grayed out and I can't figure out how to load a texture or brush. The only settings that seem to work are to make a solid stroke or a dashed stroke. What am I missing?

• Staff

Hey jyamad, it sounds like you would be better off using the Brushes Panel instead of the Stroke Panel. 

For example, if I have a shape and I convert it to curves, I can head over to the Brushes Panel and select one of the categories and pick a brush. That brush will then apply to the selected shape that I converted to curves. You can then double click the brush to change its properties.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. Your approach works for me in Designer, but not in Photo.

I'm now using full version 1.5.1. Steps I'm taking based on your approach:

1) Make and select a curve using the Pen Tool

2) Click a brush (any brush) from the Brush Panel

3) Nothing happens, no matter what the settings are in Stroke Panel

Steps from my original approach, to try to 'stroke a path with a brush':

1) Make and select a curve using Pen Tool

2) Select Texture Line Style (paintbrush icon) in Stroke Panel and increase Stroke Width

3) Select 'Properties' (before or after selecting a brush in Brush Panel)

4) Brush - Selection dialog is either grayed out or has no effect on curve appearance

It seems like Photo brushes are not usable on curves, despite the 'texture line style' option?

• Staff

Hey jyamad,

Sorry I've confused the situation. Because you said Stroke Panel I immediately went to Designer even though you did refer to Photo - sorry about that.

With Photo, you don't get access to vector brushes so all we can apply is a simple line style. I'm going to raise some points with development as a few of us have looked into this and believe that the Properties button should be removed as nothing inside can be applied to a line within Photo as well as the Texture Line Style button.

If you have Designer, your best bet would be to click File > Edit in Designer and apply a brush style, then go back to File > Edit in Photo.