You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome everybody!

Is it possible to select other layers or background, move and group layers together while recording macros? I get message "Cannot record 'set current selection' ". Am I doing something wrong or it's simple not doable?

Another thing - while recording a macro, can I play another macro?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try to set the description of some other layer besides the one that was selected when the macro started? I don't think you can do that for the same reason you can't set the current selection to anything other than the one already selected when you start recording the macro: since there could be any number of layers when you play a macro, there is no way for it to know which of them to select.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm trying to rename the layer which is selected. Even if I have only one layer, I can't rename it.

And there is quite simple way for macros to know which layer to select - custom names:). For example If I name my first layer "sky", then number of added layers doesn't matter as I can ask to select the "sky". Right?:)

For example If I name my first layer "sky", then number of added layers doesn't matter as I can ask to select the "sky". Right?

So what would you want to happen if you run that kind of macro on a document that does not have a layer named "sky"?

EDIT: Try this:

1. Open a new document. (It will have no layers.)

2. In the Macro panel, click Record.

3. From the Layers panel or Layer menu, add a new layer.

4. In the Layers panel, click on the new layer in the text area & give it a name.

5. Press Return to deselect it.

6. Click on the layer again in the layers panel to select it.

Steps 1-5 should be recorded with no problems. At Step 6 you should get a popup giving you a choice of what to select, one of which should be the layer by the name you just gave it.

Does that all happen? If not, what does?

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Is there a way to convert photoshop actions to afmacros? Or is there a way to display the text of an action so that I can recreate it as a macro? I don't have access to PS anymore. Thanks for your assistance.

Art Reimagined - created with photos, Affinity Photo, digital paint and more

Linda J Austin Fine Art

Linda's art at ArtBoja

Linda on Flickr

Linda on Facebook

So what would you want to happen if you run that kind of macro on a document that does not have a layer named "sky"?

But there will be a layer named "sky" because this very macro will create it.;) But even if there will be macros, that call to non existing layers it will simply stop with warning. The same is happening with actions in PS.

1. Open a new document. (It will have no layers.)

2. In the Macro panel, click Record.

3. From the Layers panel or Layer menu, add a new layer.

4. In the Layers panel, click on the new layer in the text area & give it a name.

5. Press Return to deselect it.

6. Click on the layer again in the layers panel to select it.

Numer 5 gives me Macro Recorder warning Cannot record "set description" and revert layer to original name.

Numer 5 gives me Macro Recorder warning Cannot record "set description" and revert layer to original name.

All I can tell you is it works fine for me. However, I did leave out a step between 5 & 6, which is to deselect the now named layer -- just pressing Return only sets the name & adds the "Set description" step to the macro. Deselecting it is a separate step but either way, "Set description" is added to the macro.

Which app version & platform (Mac or Windows) are you using? That might explain the difference.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Ok, I understand, that all this cannot be done yet. 

But, I've seen (Your macros video tutorial) that You can change a layer name while recording. I can't ("Cannot record 'set description'). Any idea why?

This is a known bug and has been logged with our developers here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32611-ap-macros-cannot-record-renaming-a-layer/