You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer radial blends are rendered as bitmap

This bug has been mentioned before. I seem to recall that it only affects the one kind of gradient fill, so if an elliptical gradient is rendered as vector you should be able to use that instead (by simply making sure that the ellipse is a circle).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If I recall, the issue(s) are more than the two color stops at each end, and the midpoint slider has to be at 50%.

Thanks, Mike. That rings a bell, and it makes much more sense than the radial/elliptical thing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If I also recall one of the developers corrected me as to what happens when moving the mid-point stops and adding more colors in other applications. These other applications, behind the scenes at export, add 50% mid-points between the color stops even if they do not show it in the UI.

In AD, however, if one adheres to the above practice and adds one or more color stops and leave the mid-points alone, a gradient will export to PDF as a bitmap. Exporting as an SVG or EPS, however, works with the additional stops and non-50% mid-points.

Hello all,

I just saw this post after I submitted one of my own regarding this issue. You're right: the problem is with radial gradients with more than 2 stops on them.

*EDITED:

I've attached a test file with the type of radial gradient (3 stops) that creates the problem. If it's exported with no rasterisation, the circle will appear as a white fill.

Does anyone know if this will be fixed?

Best regards,

R.

Radial Gradient Test.afdesign

Looks like the only workaround for this is to export as SVG (eps still want's to rasterise some objects).  Then take the SVG to Illustrator and export a PDF/EPS file from there.

The trouble with that is SVG is RGB and is not CYMK yes?

I need to export CMYK files for a logo which might be used at a multitude of formats from business cards to large format printing.

test-shape.afdesign

If you change the gradient to use a 50% mid-point in your test file and use PDF/X-3 or PDF/X-4 (which is what I would typically use), then your test file gradient will not be rasterized.

Your test file as designed will export as an EPS without issue.

And yes, SVG export is RGB.