You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One of the very few features I miss in Designer is Illlustrators Group Selection Tool, the +Cursor. I have not figured out how to make this work in Designer, other than selecting every singel vector point in the nested object. Have I missed something here?

I don't use Illustrator, but think that I see what the Group Selector is doing.

No separate tool in AD.

In the attached file there are 4 groups, each grouped with the shape above it in the stack.

Double clicking with the Select Tool drills down through successive layers of nesting.

This seems to be the opposite of Illustrator... initially selecting the biggest group and with each double click stripping away the outermost object(s).

So, repeated double clicks on the Circle step down successively smaller groups until just the circle is selected.

post-43096-0-09610300-1481653465_thumb.gif

Nested Group Drill Down.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Just discovered that for any given layer of a nested group you can single click to step up or down the layer stack

An example...

Ctrl + Click to select the Yellow Square

Now if you click the Orange Triangle, it selects the group Triangle & Circle, which is the next object down the layer stack.

Or click the Green Pentagon, to select the Pentagon, which is the next object up the layer stack.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Yes, that is an option, but not when the object is not divided into layers, like the captial letter A for instance (vectorized). The triangel inside has to be removed the way I mention in my last post, I have not found any other way.

post-3016-0-63158500-1481674728_thumb.gif

post-3016-0-44924700-1481675731_thumb.png

I think it would help to see an example of what you are asking, so that we can see your layer / group structure.

Can you attach an example file?

Yes, that is an option, but not when the object is not divided into layers, like the captial letter A for instance (vectorized). The triangel inside has to be removed the way I mention in my last post, I have not found any other way.

If you select the 'A' and press the 'Divide' button on the Geometry toolbar, the triangle will become a separate object.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)