You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thanks for the welcome Chris.

I followed the link but what if there are no layers in the .tif? As I wrote earlier, one single small clone edit of a dust spot increases file size by 20%.

I need to read a bit more about the snapshot. I've tried deleting the snapshot prior to saving but that makes no difference.

Actually, my primary concern is the size of the jpgs I subsequently make - they are much bigger that those that PS would generate. I read somewhere about AP jpg quality of 100 being better/bigger than PS 12. I think that is correct but cannot find the info again

Storage is not the issue. Large jpgs (full size and best quality) increase upload times considerably for me.

• Staff

Could you attach one of the .tif files you are cloning? When I open one and use the Clone Tool and save it, the file is actually getting a bit smaller for me  :wacko: 

Are you on Windows or Mac? I've just noticed the Windows version by default selects the compression as 85 when you open a jpg and I think 85 is the equivalent of Photoshops compression of 10. However, in Affinity, choosing a different file format and returning back to jpg changes it to 100 which is the same as Photoshops compression of 12. Maybe this is where it is going wrong?

I can't attach a file as they are too big but here is a Dropbox link

I've done some testing with that file-

Develop RAW file to 16bit .tif in Capture One - 137.38MB
Save as jpg (highest quality) in PS - 18.93MB
Save as jpg (highest quality) in AF - 28.7MB

An increase in jpg size of 50% in AF over PS.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Develop RAW file to 16bit .tif in Capture One - 137.38MB
One small clone edit and resave as .tif in PS - 137.35MB
Then save as jpg - 18.93MB

One small clone edit and resave as .tif in AF - 160.6MB
Then save as jpg - 28.7MB

Here, in AF the tif increases by 15-20% but, on saving that edited tif as a jpg, the extra MBs are lost.  (But the AF jpg is still 50% larger than the PS one)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, is AF adding extra info to a simple tif file with no layers?  If so, can I delete it?

With jpgs, is PS compression higher in PS than AF at 12/100%?

• Staff

For some reason my Affinity edit after doing some cloning is coming in at 44mb for the tif whereas in PS, it remains at 137mb. I'm not entirely sure what we are doing differently but I'm seeing drastically smaller tif files. 

However my jpg is bigger in Affinity. I'm getting 28mb for a clone edit and in PS I get around  18.9mb

Isn't this just a case of different compression schemes being used for the tiff files ? If one defaults to uncompressed and the other compresses it there could be your difference.

Tiff LZW compression might actually increase file size if the image is noisy / grainy or incompressible in some other way .

Might also be Photo saving a huge chunk of metadata to the file like previews / snapshots :).

• 1 month later...

Isn't this just a case of different compression schemes being used for the tiff files ? If one defaults to uncompressed and the other compresses it there could be your difference.

Tiff LZW compression might actually increase file size if the image is noisy / grainy or incompressible in some other way .

Might also be Photo saving a huge chunk of metadata to the file like previews / snapshots :).

I ran into the same issue myself and looked more in details into what was going on.

I used an original image that was raw TIFF (uncompressed). Image a slight edit in AP and saved the image and the resulting file was much smaller than the original.

Upon examination I realized that the saved file was now using LZW compression with a 1:5 ratio.

In itself, I'm happy that the file is smaller, though it can create issues for me for some files that are later post-processed in another app that doesn't always play well with LZW compression.

It would be good to have an option somewhere to disable the automatic compression.

Corentin