You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Edit image in Affinity Photo (from Affinity Designer)

When working with photos/images in Affinity Designer, (with Affinity Photo installed), there should be an easy way to launch Affinity Photo (or another chosen bitmap editor) from within Affinity Designer to edit bitmap images (beyond the photo editing capability integrated into Affinity Designer). This should be available both from the right mouse context menu and the context aware bar across the top when a bitmap image is selected.

With such excellent Affinity application interoperability I am surprised this has not yet been implemented.

This type of integration should also be incorporated into Affinity Publisher.

Another possible interface enhancement, could be to (optionally - in preferences?) replace the Affinity Designer Pixel Persona with the Affinity Photo 'Photo Persona'. If this capability were implemented, it would still be useful to include the ability to launch Affinity Photo as a bitmap editor from within Affinity Designer, as Affinity Photo provides further capability (i.e. Liquify Persona and Tone Mapping Persona). I would love the integration of the Affinity Photo 'Photo Persona' with Affinity Designer when editing bitmap images within Affinity Designer. (Considering how these applications are designed I wouldn't be shocked if such integration were technically feasible.)

• 1 month later...

I have since found the feature under the File menu. However I still believe it should be available as a context menu option (i.e. right mouse button menu on the object), as this more object oriented implementation will make using Affinity Photo from within Affinity Designer/Publisher (and vice versa) more intuitive, faster to use and easier to find.

Spot on Michael. Another issue: I am not in favour of Designer closing the file to be edited in Affinity Photo. I find it very unintuitive. Can't we just edit the file in Photo without closing it in Designer? After editing, a simple save should update the file in Designer.

William, I couldn't agree more. I didn't realize the file was closed when using File/Edit in Photo... in Designer.

I understand this functionality demonstrates the strength and unusual capability of Affinity products being able to seamlessly open and modify files from other Affinity products. This capability could be useful, however this functionality is not normally the desired behavior. Perhaps the File menu option should remain as it is, possibly with Designer/Publisher being closed rather then leaving Designer/Publisher open with no files open.

Upon further testing I better understand what is happening.

I realize the current functionality looks similar, though was designed with a different purpose in mind.

Moderators: "This is already possible."...

I respectfully, and completely disagree.

Though the current implementation could be useful, the primary desired behavior is to be able to select a/an image(s) within Designer/Publisher, open the image(s) within Photo for modification, and close Photo with the modified image(s) transferred back into Designer/Publisher for further work on the parent document. [Feature implementation may require only 1 image could be transferred to Photo for editing.]

The purpose and use of the above described behavior is significantly different from what is currently implemented and should be considered as a new feature enhancement.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to edit my whole document in Photo. I only want to edit the selected image. Things get kind of fuzzy when I select "Edit in Photo" because this command forces my whole document to be opened in Photo.

Scenario: I select an image in Designer and select "Edit in Photo". My intention is to change the color format for the targeted image to Grayscale. Guess what happens? The whole document is converted to Grayscale! When I select "Edit in Designer", the whole document opens up in Designer as Grayscale, where as I only wanted to affect the single image.

I prefer the Adobe way: select an image in an Illustrator document and choose edit and the image (not the whole document), opens up in Photoshop. Do your edits and save. The image updates in the Illustrator document. Simplicity.

Please Affinity act on this enhancement.

• 3 years later...
On 2/5/2017 at 8:46 PM, william said:

I don't want to edit my whole document in Photo. I only want to edit the selected image. Things get kind of fuzzy when I select "Edit in Photo" because this command forces my whole document to be opened in Photo.

Scenario: I select an image in Designer and select "Edit in Photo". My intention is to change the color format for the targeted image to Grayscale. Guess what happens? The whole document is converted to Grayscale! When I select "Edit in Designer", the whole document opens up in Designer as Grayscale, where as I only wanted to affect the single image.

I prefer the Adobe way: select an image in an Illustrator document and choose edit and the image (not the whole document), opens up in Photoshop. Do your edits and save. The image updates in the Illustrator document. Simplicity.

Please Affinity act on this enhancement.

Yes totally agree with William, with Adobe you can select the image in either Illustrator or Indesign and it will only open the particular image in Photoshop to be edited. Very straight forward. At the moment with ADesigner you have to first identify the image, 'find in Finder' open in Aphoto then correct and update, way too many moves.

• 2 months later...